By yogaboy |
- The classic 2 Old 2 Furious has joined the Tournament of Legends III tour as a qualifier for July 28. It will be taking place at Next Level Arcade and will be streamed by Team Sp00ky
- Top 8 and finals of CEO have been posted in the official Capcom channel for those who want to revisit the incredible moments of the tournament including the unexpected ones.
- Monday Night Fightcade had x64 as the fifth person to earn a spot in the final top 8 that will take place in a few weeks to decide the online Tournament of Legends III qualifier. Bracket | Video.
- IFixMachine had their usual series of casuals streamed in their channel. This week you can see TechMonkey playing against his brother. Video
- One of the worst news we have to give since X-News started is that Mat Mouse arcade in Tokyo will be closing its doors on July 22. That saddens us for so many reasons. Some players who have travelled there in the last years have been able to live the magic of that arcade. The arcade is located in the Yokohama area of Tokyo and unfortunately did have very little presence online. Last time we had to hear such bad news was when Game Off arcade closed in 2013. There are few farewell tournaments organized these days for the arcade, while we prepare the videos you can watch a casuals session that was run on the weekend with some top players involved (see video annotations).
- Now seems to be a good time precisely to publish a long set between Mattsun Ken vs Shu Ken played at Mat Mouse arcade back in January that no one has seen before. Get ready to see a lot of fancy combos and fancy juice kicks.
- Speaking of arcades, for those re-visiting Japan, HEY arcade has changed the location of the ST cabinets. They are still on the second floor but closer to the central area instead of next to the escalators. Remember to check the list of arcades to visit if you are going to Japan.
- X-EST is the next major in Japan (formerly known as X-Mania) which will be on August 11. Few teams are already listed in the official spreadsheets. There you can see some stacked teams like Opemai/Yondaime/Fujimon or Kotaka/Mattsun/Tsuji. Riz0ne is one of the few visitors that will attend and he has already teamed up with VIPER and AFO. It’s getting hype.
- FT5 set between Kusa ChunLi and Sasori Ryu at Gamespot Versus (Kanto). This set was played on April 28, the same day they run a longer session between them that we published few weeks ago.
- Gamespot Versus weekly team tournament (Kanto). Yuuvega Dictator and Yakitori Hawk were the team captains this week. A few nice highlights worth mentioning: Choshu beating 3 claws in a row at 57:23. Epic battle between Kawasim Dhalsim and Nakamura (aka Takechi) Cammy at 01:06:44. Yakitori being Yakitori. [source: GSV youtube channel]
- In Tokyo, Gamespot Versus has been running the weekly team tournament on Tuesdays (called East vs. West) for more than 10 years. It has been religiously posted and annotated by the community to make it more accessible to everyone. This year in Osaka, Shogatsu started doing the same every Monday and posting it on his youtube channel. We realized the content is also amazing and it deserves more credit than we have been giving it so far. We want to start the efforts to make it accessible as well and we placed full annotations as the first comment in this week’s video. The format is slightly different as they run two laps, in the first lap most players use their alt characters (this week you can strangely see a lot of Old Ryus and even an Old Deejay and an Old Dictator). Besides all the big names in Osaka you can also see some guests from Tokyo like Palestina or PECO. You can also give Shogatsu some love with likes and subscriptions to his channel.
- Gamespot Versus special tournament (Kanto). With one of those strange formats they come up every week. This time it’s a double bracket 2on2 tournament where players can’t use a character if they have been beaten with him before.
- Game Newton Ooyama team tournament (Kanto). This time with a 5vs5 team format but with a single bracket and NOT character lock. The teams are mostly very top players. Incredible performances coming from Munari Old Sagat, Hiroyan Hawk, Kikai Guile and Shiki Boxer among others.
- Game Daytona Shiki weekly tournament (Kanto). With their usual “winner stays on” format. There are always 2 laps. This week’s final is between Kawasim DeeJay and Tsunoppi Cammy.
- An early publication of the most recent Game Daytona Shiki weekly tournament (Kanto). The final is between Hatenko Ryu and Yonezaki Dhalsim.
- Playland F1R 2on2 tournament (Tohoku). From the remote arcade in the very far north of Japan, unfortunately with no annotations.
- The second European Tournament of Legends III qualifier was run on Sunday at Gamespirit in Lyon. There were 26 players participating coming from France, Spain, Switzerland, Germany, Italy, etc. The final was between the two Italian Biollo Dhalsim and SpinalBlood New Sagat. Biollo ended up taking it and is the new ToL3 qualifier. To make it more accessible the organizers made most of the stream in English. Video | Brackets
- On Saturday night, there was a pre-event to the qualifier in Lyon where players tried a different format for fun similar to Starcup format but not quite the same. Players had to choose 3 characters to play, the winner of the match (instead of the loser) was forced to change characters which means that in order to beat your opponent you have to be at least decent with 3 characters. The final was between Zarghatt and DonYann. Video | Brackets
- This weekend is time for the third European qualifier for Tournament of Legends III in Birmingham, UK. The VSFighting tournament organizers have confirmed they will be streaming on 3WayTV twitch channel.
- XSB registration is already open. The biggest event in Europe dedicated exclusively to ST. There will be three Japanese invites. The first one has already been announced, the super dictator from Osaka, aka Murasaki. One of the other Japanese invites has never been outside of Japan and you see him every single week in the Japanese arcade videos. Registration | List of Players
- A fifth and final European qualifier has been added to Tournament of Legends III. It will happen on September 8-9 in Lyon as part of the bigger event the MixUP which hosts tournaments for other games as well.
- For those of you looking to attend Celtic Throwdown, you can still register. They will be running ST as per usual.
- Capcom announced the official release date for 30th anniversary in Japan. The game will contain the Japanese versions of the game. 2X instead of ST, Zero instead of Alpha, etc. What’s still not clear is if the online play will be in ST so there can be a cross play between continents. As a funny note, they used a logo of ST with the subtitle “The Ultimate Championship”. This is a funny mistake since the subtitle was available only in the beta version of the game but removed it in the final version (although the graphics of the subtitle were never removed from the ROM) and it’s used in some console versions.
- Loïc Petit has published some interesting tests about the 30th Anniversary input lag. His approach and method seems to be a little bit more accurate than previous attempts and he is polishing it thanks to the feedback from the community. There might be even possible that he applies the same tests to a CPS2 so we can see the comparison soon.
Also, please check out the TOURNAMENT OF LEGENDS III fundraiser athttps://www.gofundme.com/legends3 to help support ST Revival with tournament expenses and pick up some awesome Super Turbo related goodies in the process. If you can’t swing a full donation for one of the prizes, a small donation of even a couple of dollars is still greatly appreciated! The next Japanese invite will be unlocked at $1950!
By yogaboy |
- Chris Delp, one of the masterminds behind the “Free Play Arcade” Super Turbo tournaments is organizing a big ST tournament for July 28-29. There will be cabinets, stream, sponsor and a $600 guaranteed price pool, so it has everything you could wish for. Registration is only $5.
- EVO will be taking place in a few weeks and the registration is now open. Pre-registration is only $10. Onsite registration will be $40. Remember that this will also be a Tournament of Legends III qualifier. There is also an article on Shoryuken giving more details about the ST event.
- To warm up for EVO the NorCal guys are organizing an ST tournament in Belmont on Saturday 14. Pre-registration
- We recently learned that some viewers still don’t know that most youtube videos posted here come with annotations in the video description with direct links to the matches which makes the viewing experience 10 times better.
- A FT5 from Space Shuttle (Chubu) posted by MAO, between Hide ChunLi and Futachan Ryu. Hide was visiting from Tokyo.
- Special FT10 from Gamespot Versus (Kanto) between Peruo Boxer and Cross FeiLong.
- Special long set from Gamespot Versus (Kanto) between Suzuki Zangief and Kaneko Guile.
- Gamespot Versus weekly team tournament (Kanto). Nakamu Honda and Hide ChunLi were the team captains this week. [source: GSV youtube channel]
- North vs South tournament from the HL-SEGA arcade (Kansai). With the classic 2P DJ vs Shinnosuke Ryu in the final match.
- Playland F1R 2on2 tournament (Tohoku). From the remote arcade in the very far north of Japan. June 27 tournament | July 4 tournament
- One of the four European qualifiers for Tournament of Legends III will happen this Saturday 14 at Gamespirit in Lyon. The tournament, named ‘La Qualification – Road to TOL3’ will be streamed on LaDOSE channel. Registration link
- The guys at LaDOSE created a long video that explains the details about the Tournament of Legends III, its history, the European qualifiers and the details about the finals in Canada. The video is in French.
- The results from tournament in Paris of last Saturday have been posted, with a final between Bazoukha (aka Kalel) Boxer and Toukak Dhalsim. The videos of the finals are also up on youtube. Videos | Bracket
- The VSFighting tournament organizers have confirmed they will be streaming the tournament at 3WayTV twitch channel. This will be the third European qualifier for Tournament of Legends III and it’s just two weeks away.
- The organizers of the big European tournament “X Street Battle” have created a registration link for those who want to register early. As a teaser, they are not making it public yet but challenging those with a few Google skills to find it.
- Something we forgot from the previous weeks. Fighter101 posted an extensive interview of the top player Krost, one of the best shotos in America who was initially known for his Old Ken and then eventually switched to New Ken.
By yogaboy |
- CEO had an amazing turnout with more than 90 players registered coming from many countries. There were many hype moments in the top 8 and a memorable final with an intensity similar to the epic ToL2 final. Nakano Sagat and Foosuke put up a good show as well and they made it to top 8. They posted streams on youtube of the training sessions with Nuki before the tournament as well as some long debates in their hotel rooms afterwards, which you will only understand if you speak Japanese. The other finalist, Damdai, has also some sessions in his stream channel of the training he was doing the days before the tournament. Don’t miss the fun entrances of the top 8 to the stage. Pools stream | Top 24 stream (minute 4:58:30) | Top 8 stream (grand final @ 1:42:30) | Bracket
- Monday Night Fightcade had H-Zero Old Sagat as the fourth person to earn a spot in the final top 8 that will take place in a few weeks to decide the online Tournament of Legends III qualifier. Bracket | Video. Because of CEO, MNF is taking a break for a week and will continue the qualifiers next Monday.
- Canada Cup registration is open for all those who are also going to Tournament of Legends III. The STRevival organization is also working on the potential Japanese invites but the help from the community in the fundraiser is necessary for making it happen.
- WNF @ e-sports Arena in LA had their first off season edition, the 2.9 one (Stream | Bracket). The grand final was between Mr Igloo Boxer and Dbostick Honda.
- Gamespot Versus weekly team tournament (Kanto). With the visit of Toukak Dhalsim from France. Kotaka Shoten Guile and Kawamata Ryu were the team captains who decided the team victory in the last match. [source: GSV youtube channel]
- Gamespot Versus special tournament (Kanto) with an east vs west format where every player gets 2 chances. The special rule is that if a player ends any round with a shoryuken then he gets an early victory. You can see many players taking advantage of that rule, specially Yakitori Old Hawk.
- Game Daytona Shiki weekly tournament (Kanto) with a crazy performance from Yuuvega and his secondary character Deejay. This week’s final is between him and Kawasim Dhalsim.
- An early publication of the most recent Game Daytona Shiki weekly tournament (Kanto). With their usual “winner stays on” format. There are always 2 laps. The final is between Seo Dictator and Kawasim Deejay.
- North vs South tournament from the HL-SEGA arcade (Kansai). With the classic Shogatsu Old Honda vs Kusumondo Honda in the final match.
- Registration is still open for the first French Tournament of Legends III qualifier happening in less than 2 weeks in Lyon.
- Some big names have been announced for the UK ToL3 qualifier that will take place on July 20: GolcarJack, Ryan Hart, Justin Wong, Jin, Myco, Fuzzy, etc.
- If you leave in Europe you might want to join to one of the leagues on Fightcade that will start soon. Player details and registration.
- BigBoysToys announced the upcoming release of Claw, the 10th character in the collection. Although pre-orders can be placed at retailers, you get free shipping if you do it from their official site (available in a couple of weeks).
- Capcom released the patch they promised that would fix so many problems of the 30th. However, the final result of the update is pretty dissapointing.
By yogaboy |
- Justin Wong (JWong) is the 9th Tournament of Legends III qualifier after winning the Northwest Majors Super Turbo event. Stream (starts at 7:42:40) | Bracket
- CEO is the next major having a ToL3 qualifier this weekend. The streaming schedule is: Pools (Saturday @10am-4pm on twitch.tv/datafgc), top 24 to top 8 (Saturday @ 4pm-6pm on twitch.tv/teamsp00ky), top 8 (Sunday @10am-11.30am on twitch.tv/ceogaming). All times are EDT time. Some of the top players attending are: Afro Legends, damdai, Snake Eyez, TS Sabin, JoshC, Atari, SilentScope, TechMonkey; from Japan: Foosuke, Nuki, Nakano Sagat and tomo. Bracket
- Monday Night Fightcade had superrv Boxer as the third person to earn a spot in the final top 8 that will take place in a few weeks to decide the online Tournament of Legends III qualifier. Bracket | Video. The fourth person to win the a spot in the top 8 is taking place on their stream at the time of this publication but we will report it next week.
- Pre-registration for Summer Jam is already up (also a Tournament of Legends III qualifier). The tournament will take place on September 1 in Philadelphia, PA.
- WNF @ e-sports Arena in LA had their 2.8 edition (Stream top 4 starting at 2:57:00 | Bracket). The grand final was between Alex Valle Ryu and Tomo Ryu.
- Gamespot Versus weekly team tournament (Kanto). Abebin Honda and Yuuvega Dictator were the team captains. [source: GSV youtube channel]
- Game Newton Ooyama team tournament (Kanto), East vs West format with two laps. A great chance to see Kurahashi Guile for those who miss him.
- Game Daytona Shiki weekly tournament (Kanto). With their usual “winner stays on” format. There are always 2 laps. This week’s final is between Tomoza Dictator and Hatenko Ryu.
- Gamespot Versus run a Makiri Ken Kumite who might or might not be the American Ken player living in Japan (video).
- A long set coming from GameSpot Versus (Kanto): Yuuvega Dictator vs Kusa ChunLi (video). The set was played in 2016 and it has been published now for the first time.
- North vs South tournament from the HL-SEGA arcade (Kansai). A great chance to see Nakano Sagat playing various characters. Nakano Sagat is one of the Japanese OGs who will be attending CEO in Florida this weekend.
- Playland F1R 2on2 tournament (Tohoku). From the remote arcade in the very far north of Japan.
- The 2X Spanish community run their monthly tournament with a final between christianko Claw and only88 DJ. Video (top 4) | Brackets
- James Chen streamed an ST master class for more than 4 hours where he goes through the basics of the game and some extensive character information such as Ryu, Honda and ChunLi.
By yogaboy |
- AfroLegends is the 8th Tournament of Legends III qualifier after winning the Super Arcade tournament of last weekend against Tomo in the finals. Mike Watson is commentating for most of the tournament. Stream | Bracket
- Don’s Arcade will run another SoCal Tournament of Legends III qualifier on July 21st. More info
- Monday Night Fightcade had yito2k Dhalsim from Mexico as the second person to earn a spot in the final top 8 that will take place in a few weeks to decide the Tournament of Legends III qualifier. Bracket | Video. The third person to win the a spot in the top 8 took place on their stream last night but we will publish it on next week’s report.
- Northwest Majors in WA will take place this weekend and is a Tournament of Legends III qualifier. Top 8 will be streamed at 9.30pm on Saturday although the channel hasn’t been confirmed yet. Player list and registration
- Remember to check out the TOURNAMENT OF LEGENDS III fundraiser to help support ST Revival. The next Japanese invite will be unlocked at $1950.
- With some of the old Japanese legends attending the upcoming CEO event (also a Tournament of Legends III qualifier) we wrote a detailed article to review who the legends from the 90s in SF2 were. Check it out if you want to know who was the first SF2 champion, the first ST champion, etc. Speaking of CEO, some people have also announced they will run a Salty Suite with ST as one of the games.
- WNF @ e-sports Arena in LA had their 2.7 edition (Stream @3:37:45 | Bracket) and the 2.6 (Stream @1:07:55 | Bracket) we missed to report last week (both played in 30th Anniversary). In both cases the grand final was between Mr Igloo Boxer and Tomo Ryu.
- Dbostick run another edition of King of the Dojo (KotD) tournament in a round robin format. Video | Bracket
- The Lost Ark arcade in NC run another Super Turbo Sessions of casuals on the weekend. Damdai and Rekkaken were some of the guests attending the event. Both of them also run some more casuals on 30th Anniversary on Damdai’s channel.
- Gamespot Versus weekly team tournament (Kanto) with a lot of old character action which is not very common in Japan, Old Fei, Old Honda, Old Ryu, Old Boxer, etc. Nakamu Blanka and Yuuvega Dictator were the team captains. [source: GSV youtube channel]
- X-Count is a project lead by Kusumondo that publishes FT10 series from the Osaka arcades. Now he has joined forces with AFO to do some special events from the arcade in the Fukaya area (where AFO is from). Fukaya is in the Kanto area (where Tokyo is located) but it’s actually 2 hours north by train from Tokyo. There is a trailer of the upcoming special event.
- Gamespot Versus special tournament (Kanto). An amazing 2vs2 team tournament with top players using their alt characters like Yakitori New Hawk, PECO New Ken and Shiki Dhalsim among others and with crazy performances. There were also guest players from the Singapore scene: MRK Honda and Colonel Guile.
- Game Daytona Shiki weekly tournament (Kanto). With their usual “winner stays on” format. There are always 2 laps. This week’s final is between AFO with his unusual Old Zangief and Seo with his secondary Dictator.
- A long set coming from GameSpot Versus (Kanto): Suzuki Zangief vs Bunchin FeiLong (video).
- North vs South tournament from the HL-SEGA arcade (Kansai). Shogatsu Old Honda and Murasaki Dictator are defending their teams in the final.
- Playland F1R 2on2 tournament (Tohoku). From the remote arcade in the very far north of Japan.
- The tournament from last week in the UK, Fist of the Notts Star 2, has all the videos now on youtube with a final between Golcarjack Guile and Zero1 Boxer. You can even see some behind the scenes in this other video.
- DonYann is organizing another ST meet up in Paris as a training session for the french qualifier of Tournament of Legends III. It will be on July 7 at Extra Life Café.
By yogaboy |
For those watching a lot of ST on Youtube here are some tips to forward and rewind a movie easily:
- On your mobile phone app: double tap either on the left or right part of your video to forward or rewind 10 seconds. Keep tapping to move the video even further.
- On your desktop browser: once your mouse focus is on the video use the left or right arrow keys to forward or rewind 5 seconds. Press ‘L’ to forward 10 seconds.
- The big news of the week is that Komoda Blanka has been confirmed as the second Japanese invite to Tournament of Legends III. It will be the first time the legendary Blanka goes to America for a tournament.
- TFC (NC) opened early bird registration last week and now it’s been confirmed as a Tournament of Legends III qualifier. More info
- Monday Night Fightcade had RenoMD Dictator as the first person to earn a spot in the final top 8 that will take place in a few weeks to decide the Tournament of Legends III qualifier. Eltrouble and Millertime were on the mic to commentate. Bracket | Video. The second person to win the a spot in the top 8 is being played on their stream by the time of this publication with the following standings.
- Free Play Arcade (TX) uploaded more videos of their recents Tuesday Night Fights. You can also watch some of the clips they have highlighted from their streams.
- Texas will be hosting an ST tournament @ the Kumite event with the help of some of the organizers of the Free Play tournament. You can register already on their smash page.
- Game Center in Belmont (CA) will be hosting monthlies again featuring ST. More info
- Defend the North tournament (NY) has been announced and they will have ST in some shape of form. More details soon on their website.
- Gamespot Versus weekly team tournament (Kanto), Kawasim Dhalsim and Shal Boxer were the team captains. [source: GSV youtube channel]
- Gamespot Versus special tournament (Kanto). A very high level 3vs3 tournament as part of their XV3on3S series with yet another great performance from Yakitori Old Hawk.
- Game Newton Ooyama tournament (Kanto) a single elimination tournament 2vs2 with the return of the legendary Nuki!
- Game Daytona Shiki weekly tournament (Kanto). With their usual “winner stays on” format. There are always 2 laps. This week’s final is between Tomoza Boxer and Aoki Cyclone Zangief.
- A FT10 coming from GameSpot Versus (Kanto): Kusa ChunLi vs Nikaiten Boxer (video).
- North vs South tournament from the HL-SEGA arcade (Kansai). Otochun and Teppei Guile are defending their teams in the final.
- Playland F1R 2on2 tournament (Tohoku). From the remote arcade in the very far north of Japan.
- Stunfest official channel posted the videos of the recent edition from few weeks ago.
- The LNS group in Spain run their first ST tournament with most of the players who attended FOF 2018 and with the creators of Fightcade as guests so they could explain some details about the platform. The final was between Rax Ryu and only88 DJ. The content is in Spanish. Video | Bracket
- Argentina tournaments are becoming more and more frequent. The last tournament was streamed on the Fighters Argentina channel. The final was between Psikyo Dictator and Morkman_Freeman Boxer. The content is in Spanish. Video | Bracket
- Bob Sagat, created two more ST animations as he did with DJ a few weeks ago. This time is the turn of Cammy and T. Hawk.
- Power Button channel has created the first episode of a tutorial series where he will go through mid to low chars in ST. Dictator was his first choice and the video goes in detail about the frame data of the character.
- Entertaining video from ScrewAttack where they rank the top SF2 versions. ST is ranked #1 so they know what they are talking about.
By yogaboy |
- The release of 30th Anniversary has taken over most of the events and time of those who have tested the game. Several player’s stream channels like lordjimmybones, damdai_, unessential, rekkaken76, rockmanexe1, nycfurby (& IFixMachine), to name a few, have spent a bunch of hours testing the game. You can check their archive section if you are interested.
- After the big success of the Spring Series tournament organized by Free Play earlier this year, there is already the announcement for the 2019 edition called ‘Wide World of Fighting Games’. They promise it will be bigger and better. There are few more details in the announcement site.
- There have also been a few tournaments that decided to give 30th Anniversary a first try. For instance, WNF went to main stage and got streamed at LevelUp (part 1: minute 2:13:09. Part 2: minute 4:52:52). The finals were between Alex Valle and eltrouble. Bracket
- The Gaming Zone in Arizona also organized a tournament on 30th Anniversary with Fromo Blanka as the main guest. Stream (minute 2:03:25)
- Too old for this sh*t is a tournament run in Las Vegas which will also be running their tournament on 30th Anniversary by the end of this month.
- There is a very interesting casuals stream on LevelUp channel between Alex Valle, Damdai, CigarBob and LordJimmyBones playing in the same 30th Anniversary lobby.
- Monday Night Fightcade @ Arkadeum run their #80 weekly event last week. The final was between Real Decoy and H-Zero. Bracket | Video | Leaderboard.
- Monday Night Fightcade has started, just by the time this article is published, their first ToL3 online qualifier. The brackets are already available. This will be week 1 of a total of 8 parts.
- TFC 2018 has opened early bird registration for their big tournament in September.
- For some reason or another Capcom has announced that the official release of 30th Anniversary in Japan has been moved to fall.
- Gamespot Versus weekly team tournament (Kanto), Kawasim Dhalsim and Nikaiten Boxer were the team captains. [source: GSV youtube channel]
- Gamespot Versus weekend tournament (Kanto). The format this week consists of two big teams facing each other. Each player can lose twice with a different character each time.
- Game Daytona Shiki weekly tournament (Kanto). With their usual “winner stays on” format. There are always 2 laps. This week’s final is between Ken Dictator and Nia Honda.
- A FT5 coming from GameSpot Versus (Kanto): Yuuzuru DeeJay vs Nikaiten Boxer (video).
- North vs South tournament from the HL-SEGA arcade (Kansai). With Komoda Blanka as guest. If you want to see Komoda back at his highest level watch the end of this video where he faces Otochun and Kusumondo in the final games.
- Playland F1R 2on2 tournament (Tohoku). From the remote arcade in the very far north of Japan. May 26 tournament | May 30 tournament
- Fist of the Notts tournament will be finally taking place this weekend in Nottingham, UK. More info
- LaDoseNet published the videos and results or their last monthly ranking battle with 23 participants and with a final between Bansheebot Blanka and Isimorn Claw. Videos (part 1, part 2) | Bracket
- Capcom has released another high level tutorial about Street Fighter 2 (and Super Turbo) mechanics as part of their SF Seminar Series. Highly recommended read.
- SRK has posted an introduction article to Super Turbo for those coming from SF4 and SF5. However, there are several mistakes in the article as some players have pointed out, specifically: “tick throws can only be stopped with reversal special” (correction: they can also be counter thrown), “normals can’t be cancelled into supers with the exception of renda cancelling” (correction: that only applies to a very few situations involving jab or short but not normals in general), “Wake-up throw loses to meaty” (correction: not true unless meaty is spaced outside of throw range)
- We forgot to post the STNotW (ST Normal of the Week) of two weeks ago. In this case it was about Blanka’s slide. This completes the “slide month” which covered Dictator’s, DJ’s, Dhalsim’s, Claw’s and Blanka’s slides. If you missed any of the past articles you have a full list to check them out. Fudd also announced last week that STNotW will be taking a small break for now.
By yogaboy |
- Another week another qualified player for Tournament of Legends III. This time from the Combo Breaker tournament which had 113 signed up players. Players who made it to top 8: Millertime Honda, Silentscope Cammy, LordJimmyBones Boxer, Mr Igloo Boxer, Immortal Claw, JigglyNorris FeiLong and the grand final between eltrouble Dhalsim and Alex Valle Ryu. Footage coming from the stream archive: Pools | Top 24 (minute 10:10:00) | Top 8 (minute 2:27:10 with James Chen on the mic) | Brackets | Updated ToL3 poster
- Combo Breaker also hosted the exhibition tournament of 30th Anniversary. Unfortunately, Daigo wasn’t able to make it for health reasons. ST was featured in quarters between Ricky Ortiz and ShinJn whereas the grand final was between Alex Valle and Justin Wong playing Alpha 3. Video
- All the aforementioned news were not as big as the real news of the week. Eltrouble and Millertime got engaged on Combo Breaker stage. Some of the tweets with pictures and videos of the magic moment are referenced in the latest STRevival results post. There is the live moment captured in the twitch archive (minute 4:06:40)
- Monday Night Fightcade @ Arkadeum run their #79 weekly event. The final this week was between x64 and H-Zero. Bracket | Video | Leaderboard.
- Monday Night Fightcade will also start their qualifiers for Tournament of Legends III next week (June 4). Email firstname.lastname@example.org to get on the pre-registration list.
- X-Count posted a lot of video series played in Osaka: FT10 Murasaki Dictator vs Shinnosuke Ryu (live version | delayed commentary version), FT5 Nishio Dictator vs Batayan Guile (video), FT5 Okafei FeiLong vs Teppei Guile (video), FT5 Danjiri Boxer vs Hazi DJ (video).
- Gamespot Versus weekly team tournament (Kanto), Yakitori Hawk and Kawasim Dhalsim were the team captains. Milanea Honda from France is also in the video as he was visiting Japan for a few days. [source: GSV youtube channel]
- Game Daytona Shiki weekly tournament (Kanto). With their usual “winner stays on” format. There are always 2 laps. This week’s final is between Ren Dictator and Kawasim DJ.
- A FT10 coming from GameSpot Versus (Kanto): Suzuki Zangief vs Kawasim DJ (video). Also a long set of casuals between Kusa ChunLi and Sasori Ryu (video).
- Special Fukuyama Ryu Kumite at Gamespot Versus (Kanto).
- Game Newton Ooyama team tournament (Kanto), East vs West format with two laps.
- North vs South tournament from the HL-SEGA arcade (Kansai). Shogatsu Old Honda and Kusumondo Honda were defending their teams in the final.
- Playland F1R 2on2 tournament (Tohoku). From the remote arcade in the very far north of Japan.
- Extra Life Café in Paris is organizing a 30th anniversary launch party with both PS4 and arcade setups for ST. It will happen on Friday, June 1st.
- Justin Wong confirmed he will be participating in the Tournament of Legends III qualifier at the VSFighting event in the UK. Registration
- The small Spanish community run their monthly online tournament on Fightcade. Brackets
- Everyone is hyped this week about the upcoming 30th Anniversary release. We are looking forward to seeing accurate input lag test results.
- A new version of Fightcade 2 was released (still in beta) with improvements on netcode and performance.
By yogaboy |
We are reaching X-News #30. A 30th anniversary, so to speak, of this adventure that started last October. Way more work than I ever expected but still motivated to continue seeing the feedback from the community. I hope it serves the goal of bringing communities around the world closer and more aware of each other, besides keeping a little archive of everything that happens with our beloved game.
The only missing piece is a Japanese version of the news so our friends in Japan can follow too. If anyone is willing to help or have any ideas on how to solve it please let me know.
- There is a new qualified legend for ToL3 out of Toryuken, a major run last weekend in Toronto. JED07 Dictator took it over Chi-Rithy ChunLi in the final. While the footage is being posted on youtube you can see the stream archives: Pools (highlight clips) | Top 8 (starts at 5:56:23) | Bracket. Psychochronic recorded some training sessions at his place from the day before the tournament with Dogberry, Unessential, JED07, himself and special guest Weirdlookinhippo. Video
- Combo Breaker event will take place this weekend with 111 players registered for ST (brackets). Top players from all over the US and Canada are traveling to Chicago for the tournament. Capcom is taking advantage of the popularity of the major to organize an exhibition 8-man bracket tournament of SF30th Anniversary to celebrate the upcoming release. Daigo, Alex Valle, Ricky Ortiz and Justin Wong will be 4 of the players whereas the other 4 will be chosen on an on-site auction. Remember that Combo Breaker will be a qualifier for ToL3, you can help with the fundraiser to unlock more Japanese invites. Stream schedule
- The usual guys in the West Coast got together for some casuals in order to prepare for Combo Breaker. Two hours of stream with Millertime, eltrouble, tomo, Mr Igloo and SilentScope. Stream video
- WNF in LA had an incredible tournament with Alex Valle, tomo, SilentScope, Millertime and a lot of new players who are leveling up with the game. You can watch the twitch highlight clips for the most hyped moments. Video (with annotations) | Brackets
- Free Play Arcade run a 2vs2 tournament for their Tuesday Night Fight session. They also have a very interesting setup where you can hear players commentating as they play both in tournaments and casuals. 2vs2 tournament | Casuals
- Monday Night Fightcade @ Arkadeum run their #78 weekly event. The final this week was between Rakanishu Blanka and H-Zero Old Sagat. Bracket | Video | Leaderboard. ToL3 qualifiers begin June 4. Email email@example.com to get on the pre-registration list.
- Fromo and Shotosallday recorded some casuals. Both of them have been away from tournaments for a while and hopefully be back soon. It’s also very interesting to hear them talk about tips and game knowledge that they give to each other while they play. Video (with annotations)
- Gamespot Versus weekly team tournament (Kanto), Nakamu Honda and Tencho Ryu were the team captains. [source: GSV youtube channel]
- Gamespot Versus weekend tournament (Kanto) with the unusual (for Japan) double bracket format and lots of counter picking. Tomoza Dictator and Grygla Feilong were the players in the final.
- Game Daytona Shiki weekly tournament (Kanto). With their usual “winner stays on” format. There are always 2 laps. This week’s final is between Nakajima Guile and Gucchi Blanka.
- More FT5s coming from GameSpot Versus (Kanto): Nemo Blanka vs Kusa ChunLi (video), Nakano Guile vs Seo ChunLi (video)
- North vs South tournament from the HL-SEGA arcade (Kansai). Shogatsu Old Honda and 2P DJ (yes, that’s his player name) were defending their teams in the final.
- Playland F1R 2on2 tournament (Tohoku). From the remote arcade in the very far north of Japan. May 9 tournament | May 16 tournament
- Stunfest event was back with their ST tournaments. Unfortunately, it suffered from the problem that many multi game events have and only the finals were streamed. We hope that 2X gets more priority in future editions. Top 3 of team tournament was streamed with these teams: Zagi ChunLi, Spiritmad Claw, Solinvictus DJ; Zarghatt ChunLi, Bansheebot Blanka, Eldruz Dictator and Donyann Ken, EVD Cammy, Floodman Ryu. Video (starts at 12:27) | Brackets. The solo tournament had 51 participants and the top 4 was streamed with the following players: Zarghatt ChunLi, Pijo FeiLong, Zagi ChunLi and Bansheebot Blanka. Video (starts at 7:12:32) | Brackets
- Videos from X-Mania Europe of last week have been now posted on youtube. Solo Top 8 | Teams Top 16 | Teams Top 4
By yogaboy |
- Capcom has announced a special series or tournaments with a $7000 minimum prize pool to celebrate SF30th Anniversary. 3 different games in 3 American majors: ST at CEO, Alpha 3 at SoCal Regionals and 3rd Strike at Canada Cup.
- Toryuken major in Toronto will be the next ToL3 qualifier happening this weekend (May 19-20). Top 8 will be streamed on Toronto Top Tiers secondary channel. Registration and Bracket
- Combo Braker will be another qualifier happening in two weeks (May 25-27). However, registrations in this case are closed. They recently announced that 111 participants are signed up for ST.
- Top 8 of Texas Showdown tournament from last week has been officially posted on Youtube, check for video annotations in one of the video comments (not the video description). The ‘pools’ video that was published last week on a separate channel has annotations now as well.
- Free Play Arcade had their Tuesday Night Fight session that can be seen in their stream archive.
- The Lost Ark arcade in NC run another Super Turbo Sessions of casuals on the weekend. There were great players attending like Damdai, Rekkaken, Immortal and RoyBisel. Stream video
- Pixel Palace Games in Ohio is organizing an ST tournament on May 19 along with many other games. Event | Registration
- Monday Night Fightcade @ Arkadeum run their #77 weekly event. The final this week was between Rakanishu Blanka and H-Zero Old Sagat. Bracket | Video | Leaderboard
- Gamespot Versus continue with their Danisen series. Besides the local people there are some top players visiting from Nagoya. MAO claw, Opemai claw, AFO Blanka, Gian Dhalsim, Nakamu Blanka, Kotaka Shoten Guile, Kawamata Ryu to name a few from the full list, so you can guess what awesome matches you will see between them. Check for video annotations in one of the video comments (not the video description). Video
- MAO posted 8 more FT5 videos to MAO-db channel played at Space Shuttle (Nagoya) with many players visiting from other areas. The matches are: Gotoh Ryu vs Hide ChunLi, Akko Claw vs Itoh Ryu, Wani!K Honda vs Akko Claw, Futachan Ryu vs Opemai Claw, Akko Claw vs MAO Claw, MAO Claw vs Yomiaidoh Ryu, Danjiri Boxer vs Itoh Ryu, Tsumura Hawk vs Futachan Ryu. Video list
- A miscommunication with Kakerugo organizers last week made us believe only one of the two setups in the tournament were recorded. We were wrong. Shogatsu posted a video with the footage of the secondary cabinet were most of the losers matches were played. Check for video annotations in one of the video comments (not the video description).
- Gamespot Versus weekly team tournament (Kanto), Shal Boxer and Palestina ChunLi were the team captains. [source: GSV youtube channel]
- Belated Gamespot Versus weekly team tournament (Kanto) from the previous week with a slight larger number of participants since players were warming up for the Kakerugo tournament. Seo ChunLi and Yakitori Old Hawk were the team captains. [source: GSV youtube channel]
- More FT5s coming from GameSpot Versus (Kanto): Kinakong tarou Claw vs Miya Ken (video), Abebin Honda vs Chosu Ken (video), Tako-sama Zangief vs Yuzuru DJ (video).
- North vs South tournament from the HL-SEGA arcade (Kansai). Kusumondo and Shogatsu were defending their teams in the final in a classic Honda mirror.
- Playland F1R 2on2 tournament (Tohoku). From the remote arcade in the very far north of Japan. April 28 tournament | May 2 tournament
- Europe is having more majors in 2018 than ever before. This coming weekend will be the comeback of the classic Stunfest. According to the schedule 2X will be solo tournament on Saturday and team tournament on Sunday. Expect many big players and great final streams. Registration | Brackets
- Fist of the Notts Star 2 returns at Nottingham, UK on June 9. There will be several game tournaments in the event. 2X will be played on Superguns. Details | Registration
- DonYann has uploaded the top 3 of the Coin-Op tournament in Paris from few weeks ago on Youtube. Professor Jones Dictator, Bazoukha Boxer and Touco Zangief are the players in the top 3. Videos
- STNotW (ST Normal of the Week) by Fudd DJ and hosted on the Free Play Arcade group. The subject this time is Dhalsim’s slide.
- The channel of Chemical Lovers are constantly uploading videos about fighting game theory and analysis. They recently uploaded a video explaining why ST is still been played to this day and why it could be considered balanced. The video is perfect to show to all those players who say ST is cheap, broken or spammy.
- An article on Eventhubs gives more details of the training modes included in the 30th Anniversary Collection. Damage diplay, input display, ‘dummy controls’ and stage selection (at least in versus mode) are some of the features mentioned.
- Retroarch emulator has released a new version with several new features, one of them being “runahead latency reduction”. Tests still have to confirm if that’s really beneficial for playing ST online.
- Arcadeshock is going to release an in-store exclusive stick as part of their HORI RAP4 Kai Customized series. In this case the stick has a design dedicated to Super Street Fighter II X. However, for those cabinet purists, the stick will have 8 buttons instead of 6 and the button layout will be vewlix instead of sega or noir. The date of the release is still unknown.
- Third Argentinian weekly online tournament with more and more players each time.