By yogaboy |
- The first qualifier of Tournament of Legends III took place last weekend at Winter Brawl with players coming not only from the US but also Canada and France. Congratulations to Krost for being the first qualified player! For some reason the brackets are down right now. They will be posted here if they get fixed. Video | Results
- WNF @ e-sports Arena in LA took place on Wednesday with a final between tomo Ryu and eltrouble Dhalsim. No brackets available. Video
- Monday Night Fights @ Arkadeum run their #66 weekly event. The final this week was between H-Zero and illegal. Bracket | Video
- The Lost Ark arcade in NC run another Super Turbo Sessions of casuals. It was all recorded in their stream archive.
- IFixMachine also had their Super Turbo session in NY and it was also recorded in their youtube channel.
- In order to enjoy Ito‘s mastery of multiple characters before his participation on Daigo‘s challenge, Opemai Claw has posted a 40 minute set between Ito Ryu and MAO Claw on his channel. Any Ryu player who wants to learn how to play against Claw should watch this set. He plays a more defensive style than Futachan Ryu but still using all of new Ryu’s tools with precision to counter MAO.
- Mattsun announced the dates of the X-er tournament, their 3rd edition. It will be on March 18. X-er is one of the 4 majors happening in Tokyo every year. In this case, it’s a 2vs2 tournament with the rule that only those that have never won a major in the past (in the history of the game) are allowed to participate.
- Some more gems found by Xgamerz in the buried old footage of the Japanese arcades. An 18 minute set from 2016 between Yuuvega and Sashishi Ryu, and a 10 minute set from 2015 between Muteki Guile and MB DJ (his main is Boxer).
- Space Shuttle weekly team tournament (Chubu) with Futachan Ryu and MAO as team captains. This week’s highlight, besides the usual weird intro, is Prince ChunLi using Guile, which was the character he was using in the early days. He does a perfect to a Dhalsim player at minute 10:55 which is not very common to see. [source: MAO’s nico channel]
- Gamespot Versus special tournament (Kanto). The fancy rule this time is that they made two teams separated by age. “Youngs” vs “Olds”. Read the video description if you want to know who is the oldest and who is the youngest.
- North vs South tournament from the HL-SEGA arcade (Kansai) by Shogatsu. The very O.G. Mori Boxer and Takanotsume Zangief are defending their teams in the final.
- Gamespot Versus weekly team tournament (Kanto) with the team victory decided in the very last match between the two captains, Kawasim Dhalsim and Palestina ChunLi. [source: GSV youtube channel]
- Game Daytona Shiki weekly tournament (Kanto). With their usual “winner stays on” format. There are always 2 laps. This week’s final is between Aoki Cyclone Zangief and Tomoza Blanka.
- Playland F1R 2on2 tournament (Tohoku). From the remote arcade in the very far north of Japan. As always, teams and timestamps are in the video description.
- Ladosenet run their monthly ranking battle with 26 players and with Isimorn and Zarghatt making it to the final. Video | Bracket
- SWGA Bordeux run a local tournament with the following final podium: Wolmar, Soon and Kazuhya. Unfortunately, there are no videos available.
- The guys behind the Fightcade Offline Festival in Spain have announced that Spinalblood and Dany Vega will be coming from Italy to participate in the tournament as well as Golcarjack from the UK.
- Fightcade opened their beta to the public so any registered user can start testing it. A lot of improvements have been added to this version. They also created a Patreon site for those who have been asking to support the project for the longest time. Beta download
- XSPR has recently released a new version of the tool called TRUST (v10), which lets you programmatically automate character moves for your training mode. He also created video tutorials, both in English and Japanese, on how to install and set up the tool.
- Although we have been mentioning the recent posts of Fudd DJ for the #STNotW (ST Normal of the Week), he has been doing it for a while. Fourteen weeks to be more precise. Chris Delp has provided a full list of these posts written in the Free Play Arcade group. Last week, the post was about Ryu far standing strong.
- This week, on February 23rd, our beloved game turned 24. Really looking forward to next year’s 25th anniversary to rock the party!
By yogaboy |
- The first qualifier of Tournament of Legends III will happen this weekend at Winter Brawl! (February 23-25). The tournament will be streamed on Atari‘s twitch channel.
- Rewind II tournament took place @ E-sports Arena with most of the big names in SoCal: eltrouble, MillerTime, MuffinMan, Silentscope, tomo, AfroLegends and Alex Valle (!). The final was the now classic tomo vs AfroLegends. Youtube videos are coming soon. Brackets | Stream video
- Monday Night Fights @ Arkadeum run their #65 weekly event. H-Zero and dbostick made it to the final. Bracket | Video
- Dbostick run the 10th edition of the monthly King of the Dojo (KotD) tournament with the participation of known online north American players in a round robin format. Video | Bracket
- aznpikachu215 hosted another edition of the Fightcade Friday Fights with many known online players attending. Video | Bracket
- Free Play Arcade made a very good mini documentary that goes through all the versions of SF2 and finally talks about the competitive scene of ST. This serves as a good preview and marketing of the huge tournament that will be run in March at Free Play Arlington.
- The anticipated FT10 match between Otochun and Teppei took place this past weekend in Osaka (Kansai). The stream video also contains several FT5 exhibitions afterwards plus some more commented casuals between top players. Separated videos for each match will be posted soon on the X-Count project youtube channel.
- Daigo announced that the second ST Kemonomichi FT10 series will be between Kotaka Shoten and Ito DJ, one of the best players in the scene. You can see the official announcement which also contains some interesting interviews that give more details about Ito‘s story and background.
- Long set of 20 minutes between Yaya Sagat and Shu Ken. It was probably played after last week tournament at Matmouse.
- An hour and a half (!) set between VIPER Hawk and Munari Sagat. However, they use their pocket characters to make the classic Guile vs Ryu battle. The set took place at Game Newton Ooyama arcade.
- Xgamerz realized there are a lot of these long sets between players buried in the streams. Sometimes they leave the stream on after the tournaments and then it’s when these sets happen. So he started searching if he could find more of these gems in old footage. This week he found a long set of 30 minutes between Tomoza Dictator and Souzou FeiLong, the best FeiLong on the planet, now inactive. For those wondering how this matchup goes it’s supposed to be 6-4 in Dictator’s favor. The fight happened back in 2015 and was played at Gamespot Versus.
- The Danisen series at Gamespot Versus are back! (Kanto) They run from 2010 to 2013. Many people remember the popular wooden board of the rankings located at the entrance of the arcade. Now in 2018 they started again including all the new players that have become usual ones in the last years. Videos with full annotations: Part 1, Part 2, Part 3, Part 4.
- Special tournament at Kawachieiwa Enpara arcade in Osaka (Kansai). Not sure if this is part of the monthly ranking battle or not. “Winner stays on” format with 2 laps. However, for the playoffs they use some sort of ratio points shown in the description. Most of the big names in Osaka are present. The final is between Gunze Zangief (with an amazing performance throughout the tournament) and Otochun (using Honda).
- Space Shuttle weekly team tournament (Chubu) with Futachan Ryu and MAO as team captains. MAO with his glorious video intros eating oysters this time lol [source: MAO’s nico channel]
- Gamespot Versus special tournament (Kanto). If you thought that Japanese have the most creative tournament formats (or the most silly ones) wait to hear this one: double elimination, whoever wins the match LOSES! Yes, you read it right. So the grand final was between the two only players who never won a match: Nemo vs ToneP.
- North vs South tournament from the HL-SEGA arcade (Kansai) by Shogatsu. Kusumondo Honda and Tsuji Boxer are defending their teams in the final. Warning, the audio is all messed up.
- Gamespot Versus weekly team tournament (Kanto) with the return of Hakase Dhalsim (translated as the honorary title ‘doctor’), Hiroyan Ryu is the other team captain. Don’t miss the jaw dropping performance of Kotaka Shoten, including the match against Hakase himself. [source: GSV youtube channel]
- Game Daytona Shiki weekly tournament (Kanto). With their usual “winner stays on” format. There are always 2 laps. Players usually play one lap with their main and another one with their alt character. The known American Gaijin XSPR Ryu has an awesome performance as he did few months ago. This time he makes a long streak to put him in the final against Koemon FeiLong.
- Game Newton Ooyama special tournament (Kanto) with 10 of the known strong players in Tokyo forming two teams for a 5vs5 battle.
- First Attack run their 5th ranking battle on Saturday. Videos and results will be posted soon.
- Steal City Clash (SCC) is an event that will run tournaments for 4 games, ST being one of them. It will take place on February 25 @ Sheffield, UK. It’s not clear whether there will be a stream or not. Tournament details
- The Spanish community had their monthly online tournament, this time to warm up for the big Fightcade Offline Festival coming in March. The finals are between shine and christiankbcao. Bracket
- Atari posted another video of the Dublo7 (aka David Spence) archive project. This second video contains footage recorded at the B5 (pre-EVO) tournament in 2001. It has the 4 big names of the old school in the US: AfroCole, John Choi, Alex Valle and Mike Watson.
- As every Monday, Fudd DJ posted another #STNotW (ST Normal of the Week) write up on the Free Play Arcade group. This week he goes through Blanka’s st.lk or “crab kick”.
- The legendary commentator and Cammy player James Chen was interviewed by fighter101 recently and it was all published this week. A really good read with many details and anecdotes of ST and the FGC.
- For those who are lucky enough to be able to read Japanese, there is a resource made by Gambiko who posts very detailed write ups about ST matchups and strategies every other day (!). He started around 5 months ago but it’s never late to feature great resources like this with so much content.
By yogaboy |
- Monday Night Fights @ Arkadeum run their #64 weekly event. H-Zero and x64 made it to the final. Bracket | Video
- There were both online and offline tournaments organized in a town 2 hours from Toronto. Only the stream archive of the online one is available to view.
- There will be an event called Rewind II @ E-sports Arena in LA on February 17. Several games will be featured in there and ST will have a side tournament.
- Vampire Arcadia will hold the Makai World Cup event in Cincinnati on March 10. ST will be one of the games of the event.
- Another FT10 has been added to the X-Count project in Osaka (Kansai). The match is really spectacular between Gunze Zangief and Tsuji Boxer (live version | restreamed version). This coming Saturday will be the day for the previously announced Otochun vs Teppei.
- SeanSRK and Chris Delp were invited to the Matmouse arcade in their final days in Japan. The players who gathered there to play were Mattsun Ken, Kameraya Ken, Shu Ken, Soiya and yaya. Video (no annotations)
- Space Shuttle special tournament (Chubu). Well, not exactly at Space Shuttle… the guys from the arcade went to some sort of pub and they played and commented the tournament from there while they were happily having some drinks (I guess they moved all the streaming equipment and maybe the cabinet there). The format is also a little bit unusual: a team tournament between two teams with each player using 4 characters.
- Space Shuttle weekly team tournament (Chubu) with Superstar Boxer and Prince Chunli as team captains. Don’t miss the exhibition at the intro of MAO playing Bomberman! [source: MAO’s nico channel]
- Gamespot Versus special tournament (Kanto) with a very special format where players do one game with their main character and another game using the character of their opponent. If the result at that point is 1-1 then they do a final match with the players using their main characters again. Just think of how many fun situations and mental pressure this format can lead: your opponent being better than you with your own character or the other way around. KKY was visiting from Osaka and he participates in a final exhibition after the tournament.
- Gamespot Versus weekly team tournament (Kanto) with Kawasim Dhalsim and Bunchin Fei as team captains. [source: GSV youtube channel]
- Game Daytona Shiki weekly tournament (Kanto). With their usual “winner stays on” format. The intense final is between Gucchi Ryu and Keishin Claw (!)
- Stunfest is back after last year’s absence. They announced they will have both teams and singles tournaments for ST/2X. 15-17 May. Registrations are already open.
- LaDoseNet celebrated its 5th anniversary with a weekend tournament. Zagi and Balcork were invited over from Paris. Videos will be posted with annotations on youtube soon. Stream archive | Bracket
- First Attack will be having their 5th ranking battle on February 18th. Event details
- Atari started a project along David Spence (aka dublo7) in order to digitalize a lot of tournament footage from the US in the early 2000s. All that content has been seating on VHS for the longest time and now it’s been posted on Atari’s youtube channel (one video for now, more coming soon)
- The site Goukipedia is planning to publish a new section called ‘extras’ which will host a lot of content coming from magazines, merchandise and other sources. The first part of that section is the one dedicated to the 1994 Bandai Cards, specifically those dedicated to SF2. Many more details about the cards will be added to the FAQ section soon.
- Fudd DJ started a project, along with the Free Play arcade guys, where he will be posting about a normal of the game every week. In his posts he will be going through the insights and uses of the move supported by stories or graphic data. In his first episode he talks about Ken j.HK.
By yogaboy |
- The Super Turbo Showdown 2 qualifier tournament took place last weekend in Toronto with a fierce fight between Montreal and Toronto players who were going after their free tickets to the Free Play tournament in Texas. People clipped some highlights like crazy comebacks or a double stun but there is so much more to see. Special thanks to Jakyo Manor for helping out with the commentary. Youtube videos with annotations: Singles | Teams | Casuals. Stream (with twitch chat) | Brackets
- Monday Night Fights @ Arkadeum run their #63 weekly event. H-Zero and RenoMD dictator made it to the final. Bracket | Video
- L.A. WNF is back with a great final between Tomo Ryu and eltrouble Dhalsim. Silentscope clipped a crazy countdown moment of the same final. Video (annotations coming soon)
- Crooked Tooth Brewing in Arizona organized an ST tournament with ShotosAllDay and Fromo facing each other in the finals. Unfortunately, there is no footage of the matches.
- Reminder that there are just few hours left to register for the Winter Brawl tournaments which already has more than 50 players for ST.
- A few years ago there was a long set of Ryu mirrors between the best Ryu’s in Tokyo (Sashishi, Sasori and Kurahashi). This time they did the same with the best 3 ChunLis in Tokyo (with the permission of Nuki): Keishin, Hide and Kusa. As in all the arcades that give you 2 credits with one coin, the players alternate between their main color and their alt color.
- Kusumondo has started a project, with the help of Ando Hayashida and Shinohonda called X-count (Ultimate Fighting Order) where they will be posting FT10 game series between players in Osaka (and guests). Everything will be posted on a new youtube channel. So far, they have done the first series with Batayan Guile vs Shigaken Ken (restreamed version | live commentary version). They also had a Gunze Zangief vs Tsuji Boxer series but for some reason it hasn’t been posted yet and they just announced there will be a third series between Otochun ChunLi and Teppei Guile (strongest Guile in Osaka) on February 17 at 10pm (JST time).
- On the same X-count channel aforementioned there have been two FT5 exhibitions posted recently. Gunze Zangief vs Komoda Blanka and Wada Sagat vs Komoda Blanka.
- After the success of Daigo hosting the first Kemonomichi FT10 exhibition series between Aniken and Kotaka Shoten, he has recently announced a second edition on March 10th. The players haven’t been revealed yet.
- Gamespot Versus weekly team tournament (Kanto) still with some foreign visitors that stayed for a few more days after EVO Japan like Double-U Dhalsim. The team captains Tencho Ryu and Abebin Honda decided the team victory in the very last match. There were many great moments like a 92 second round from Chosu with a ToD at 54:40. [source: GSV youtube channel]
- Gamespot Versus special 3vs3 tournament (Kanto) where the 3 best ChunLis (Keishin, Hide and Kusa) are teaming up and make it to the finals against Shal Boxer, Piroshi Honda and Naka Cammy.
- Game Daytona Shiki special tournament (Kanto). With their usual “winner stays on” format. Kusa wrecked everyone both with his Honda and his ChunLi. He faced Shal Dictator in the finals.
- From the previous event Xgamerz extracted a half an hour special with Guchi Ryu vs Kusa ChunLi.
- Game Newton Ooyama ranking battle (Kanto) with 3 teams of 5 people facing each other, all the teams packed with top players from the area.
- North vs South tournament from the HL-SEGA arcade (Kansai) recorded by Shogatsu. Otochun and Ao-reppu Ryu are defending their teams in the final.
- Playland F1R (Tohoku) is an arcade that has been posting footage from time to time over the years. The arcade and the players are not very well known because it’s located in the very north of Japan, the area is called Tohoku. Xgamerz rescued some of their recent footage. January 27th (with annotations) | February 3rd
- An invitational online tournament between most top players in Europe has been restreamed and posted for the first time on twitch with commentaries from Toukak and DonYann in French. The tournament was able to have many legends like Milanea, Wolmar or Max31. The finals were between Zagi and Balcork. Stream | Bracket | Trailer
- First Attack posted the videos and brackets of their monthly ranking battle with Pierrot and Solinvictus making it to the final. Playlist (3 videos) | Bracket
- The couple Mel and Pierrot are in charge of First Attack. They posted a half an hour video of them playing casuals while they comment on the details of the matchups and strategies. Content in French.
- Many people from the LaDose group in Lyon took a trip Player’s Bar in Riom. Nayma, Bendes, Zarghatt, Hannemann, Kienono, Kiouze, Sylv1n, Dadoo, Blackmane, Kazel and ISIMORN were among the players in the tournament. Unfortunately with no footage available. Bracket
- The guys at LaDose did another one of their restream series. This time with a restream of a recent Gamespot Versus weekly team tournament in Tokyo. ISIMORN and Double-U on the mic, in French.
- There is a recent documentary on youtube about Akiman, one of the original artists of Street Fighter and one of the most famous ones. Really worth watching! (subtitles in English).
- Many people at NHC were paying homage to MisterEgoTrip few days ago, a honda player from the US that left us recently, unfortunately.
- Pof posted a video tutorial recently about T. Hawk Option Select Typhoon-Buster also known as Omega move.
By yogaboy |
- The major Frosty Faustings took place in Chicago with 48 entrants. Immortal Claw and ThatArchVillan Dictator are the ones who made it to the final. Pools video (with annotations on Atari‘s channel) | Top 8 video (starts at 7:08:05, with James Chen and RoyBisel on the mic, no annotations) | Bracket
- WNF in Toronto is back! With all the big names from the area and the special guest ThatArchVillan coming from Chicago. The final is between Ozzz and JED07. Video | Bracket
- Taking advantage of the visit of ThatArchVillan to Toronto, Psychochronic posted two videos of casuals in the glorious Dreamcast version. The first video is two sets of FT50 of ThatArchVillan vs. Dogberry and Psychochronic. The second video is four sets of FT25 (one alternate, one main) of ThatArchVillan vs. JED07 and Psychochronic.
- Monday Night Fights @ Arkadeum run their #62 weekly event. As it happened last week, x64 and RenoMD dictator made it to the final. Bracket | Video
- To complement last week’s tutorial of Guile vs Dictator, Frank Vacanti made an extra episode where he interviews and talks to GolcarJack over skype.
- The casual sessions at Lost Ark arcade in NC are now recorded in the stream archive. Even if it’s casuals the names of the players are updated on screen. Damdai, Rekkaken and Atari were some of the guests attending the event.
- The guys from Chile (obviously not in North America) posted part of the tournament they had last week with an exciting final between Saga Ryu and DRG old Feilong. We recommend to watch those old Feilong combos.
- Jason Wilson posted the results of the event they had at Game Galaxy last week with Caleb winning the event.
- Philcito, one of the admins of No Honor Crew has announced there are official groups created both for PS4 and Xbox ONE in order to do some events and tournaments after 30th anniversary is launched.
- Reminder that this weekend, February 3-4, there will be another Texas qualifier in Toronto. The Super Turbo Showdown 2. Stream channel | Registration
Many foreigner players were present in some of the Japan events this week because of EVO Japan taking place this past weekend.
- Space Shuttle weekly team tournament (Chubu) with Kenshiro as guest forming almost an entire team (by playing several characters) against the rest of the local players. [source: MAO’s nico channel]
- Gamespot Versus weekly team tournament (Kanto) with more than 10 foreigner players from all over the world, all of them in the same team. Amazing performances from MuffinMan and Big Body GAIJIN. [source: GSV youtube channel]
- Gamespot Versus weekend tournament (Kanto). A 2vs2 team tournament where the visitor players from Texas teamed up with the local Japanese players. SeanSRK with Yakitori Old Hawk and Chris Delp with Nikaiten Boxer. From minute 2:28:30 there is an hour and a half kumite of Kotaka Shoten against many players.
- From the same Gamespot Versus event there is an extract where Kotaka Shoten plays a long set for half an hour against Yakitori DJ (his secondary character)
- Gamespot Versus special ratio tournament (Kanto) with Palestina and Kusa making it to the final. With a new list of how the ratio points are assigned.
- Game Daytona Shiki special tournament (Kanto). With their usual “winner stays on” format. With the guests SeanSRK and Chris Delp from Texas. The two players with the longest run who made it to the final were Toukon ChunLi and Tomoza Boxer.
- North vs South tournament from the HL-SEGA arcade (Kansai) by Shogatsu. Otochun and Teppei Guile are defending their teams in the final. Warning, the audio is all messed up.
- Amipara Technoland East vs West tournament (Kansai) with SPR Old Ryu and KED Dictator as team captains.
- The videos and results from the last ranking battle in Lyon have been posted with the final between Zarghatt ChunLi and Kouni Ryu. Take a look at the video descriptions. Winner’s final | Loser’s final and Grand Final | Bracket
- Isimorn published on youtube the restream he did on parts of XSB and ToL3 while he also talks about other plans for LaDOSE. The commentary is in French.
- The GHM youtube channel posted a video with a lot of footage of the XSB tournament of last year with a lot of interview in it. Content in French.
- Fighter101 posted a video where he shares his thoughts about old games vs. new games.
By yogaboy |
- Monday Night Fights @ Arkadeum run their #61 weekly event with x64 and RenoMD dictator making it to the final. Bracket | Video
- Dbostick run the 9th edition of the monthly King of the Dojo tournament with the participation of known online north American players. Stream archive | Bracket
- Frank Vacanti posted a new video of his tutorial series, this time to talk about the Guile vs dictator matchup.
- Atari released the remaining footage of the Boston tournament of last November. That includes the 4th set of casual games with plenty of footage of Aniken and Otochun (with a 17 game win streak) and also the top 16 of the tournament. As always, with annotations in the video description. In that top 16, it’s very interesting to hear, from the commentators Damdai and Ultracombo, what was in their head while they were playing, including when they were facing each other; highly recommended. Complete playlist (casuals, pools and top16). The top16 doesn’t include the top3 which can be watched in other stream recordings as well as the grand finals in the official battlegrounds channel.
- ST will be present at the Winter Brawl event with a tournament with a $300 price pool. The dates are February 23-25.
- Reminder that the Super Turbo Sessions event at the Lost Ark arcade in NC will happen this coming Saturday, January 27. Stream channel
- Our expert of the Japanese scene, Xgamerz, has found a gem in the stream footage of Newton Ooyama with Komoda Blanka playing against several players for about an hour. He makes the match up against ChunLi look even. Seo ChunLi who defeated him the last time they faced each other at X-Mania wasn’t as lucky in this casual series.
- Mattsun announced the dates for the 3rd edition of the X-er tournament: March 11th. He currently runs the 4 annual majors in Tokyo, all of them team tournaments. 2vs2 (X-er in March), 3vs3 (X-est in August), 4vs4 (FOX in December), 5vs5 (Kakerugo in May).
- Space Shuttle weekly team tournament (Chubu) with MAO claw and Opemai claw as team captains. [source: MAO’s nico channel]
- Gamespot Versus weekly team tournament (Kanto) with Kotaka Shoten and Kawamata Ryu as team captains. With the usual gaijins at GSV: XSPR Ryu and Makiri Ken. The grandmaster Keishin ChunLi is also showing up this week. [source: GSV youtube channel]
- The channel posting the GSV weeklies was a week behind. So here is the Gamespot Versus weekly team tournament from the previous week (Kanto). Yakitori Hawk and Yaju (?) Guile are the team captains. [source: GSV youtube channel]
- Game Daytona Shiki special tournament (Kanto). With their usual “winner stays on” format. The two players with the longest run who made it to the final were Seo Dictator and PECO new Ken.
- Game Newton Ooyama East vs West tournament (Kanto) with Komoda Blanka and Seo ChunLi as team captains.
- North vs South tournament from the HL-SEGA arcade (Kansai) by Shogatsu. As it happened last week, Murasaki dictator and Kusumondo Honda are defending their teams in the final. Warning, the audio is all messed up.
- Amipara Technoland East vs West tournament (Kansai). The players in that arcade are not as known but still high quality matches.
- Ladosenet announced they will have their monthly ranking battle this upcoming Sunday, January 28th @ Gamespirit in Lyon.
- Isimorn and DoubleU had a live stream (archive) where they go through all the plans for ST and other games in 2018. The content is in French.
- Isimorn published on youtube the restream he did on twitch of the monthly Osaka tournament. The commentary is in French.
- Marcade Honda restreamed the finals of the monthly Spanish tournament on Fightcade. This tournament already intended as preparation for the Fightcade Offline Festival 2018. The commentary is in Spanish. Bracket
- GolcarJack has released new content (hitboxes, new strategy, etc) in his extensive guide for Guile, which he has been writing for years.
- For all Honda fans, the guys from BigBoysToys added E. Honda to their collection available for pre-order on their website. Currently, they have the 8 world warriors plus Akuma available.
- For those who like music and remixes related to SF2 there is a set of new songs on Spotify (login required) by DJ Super Sonic who mixes the classic tunes with ‘modern’ dubstep.
By yogaboy |
- Monday Night Fights @ Arkadeum run their #60 weekly event with H-Zero and RealDecoy making it to the final. Bracket | Video
- The guys from the Free Play Tournament in Texas (coming in March) announced their first Japanese invites: the grandmasters Otochun, Yaya and Mattsun.
- IFixMachine run a tournament in NY which in turn was the second qualifier for the Free Play Tournament in Texas. JoshC, Techmonkey and ‘E to the NG‘ were the three qualified players. Video (no annotations) | Brackets
- Silentscope streamed, for the first time in his channel, the WNF tournament @ e-sports Arena in LA. Eltrouble, Millertime and Silentscope took the first 3 places in the final results. Video (no annotations)
- Atari re-streamed the top 16 of the Boston tournament of last November. With commentators from west coast, east coast and Canada simultaneously. That is, Damdai, JoshC, Atari and Ultracombo. The plan is to upload everything on the youtube channel with proper annotations soon.
- An event called Super Turbo Sessions has been announced for January 27 @ Lost Ark arcade in NC. It will be streamed on their twitch channel and it will have Damdai and Rekkaken as guests.
- Gamespot Versus had their usual weekend stream but this time with some high level long series between Kotaka Shoten, Shiki and Kurahashi. Xgamerz edited the videos and posted them separately for you to enjoy. Shiki Guile vs Kurahashi Ryu, Kotaka Shoten Guile vs Shiki Boxer, Kotaka Shoten Guile vs Kurahashi Ryu. It’s not clear what the target score of the series was. They run around 15 to 20 games.
- Special Shiki Kumite at Gamespot Versus arcade (Kanto), where he plays against the local players using all the 16 characters of the game.
- Space Shuttle special tournament (Chubu) with almost all the top players of Nagoya participating like Gotoh Ryu, Futachan Ryu, Superstar, MAO, etc. With the participation of probably the only two Japanese players who have used Old Ryu in tournaments over the years: Mayumura and tsumakiRYU. Also with the participation of Ando Old Feilong, not only one of the only old Feilongs in Japan but also one of the oldest players (age wise) in the scene. There are no brackets nor explanations of the format nor proper video annotations which makes it a little bit harder to follow but it’s still really worth watching. You would never ever guess who defeats MAO in the tournament (minute 29:17) and almost takes the whole thing against Futachan in the final. Note: there is an error in the annotations, the Cammy player is always Tasaka. [source: MAO’s nico channel]
- Space Shuttle weekly team tournament (Chubu) with MAO and Superstar Boxer as team captains and playing each other in the decisive final match. [source: MAO’s nico channel]
- Gamespot Versus weekly team tournament (Kanto) as always with more than 50 players participating. Kawasim Dhalsim and Suzuka Dhalsim were the team captains. A great chance to see Yaya playing his Ken. There was also one of the most spectaculars comebacks ever seen at minute 14:27. [source: GSV youtube channel]
- Game Daytona Shiki special tournament (Kanto). With their usual “winner stays on” format. The two players with the longest run who made it to the final were Tsumura Hawk and PECO, who has been using Ken instead of Old Ken in the last months.
- North vs South tournament from the HL-SEGA arcade (Kansai) by Shogatsu with Murasaki dictator and Kusumondo Honda defending their teams in the final.
- Ladosenet announced a tournament that will take place on February 10th in honor of their 5th anniversary. They also posted a video as a review of all the tournament moments of 2017, mostly ST related, including their trip to Japan.
- First attack made a tour video of their arcade venue where they also explain their plans for 2018.
- Earlier this week, Tom Cannon was announcing that SRK forums would be shutting down. However, the community convinced the organizers to keep the content and even migrate to a more modern platform for forums, discourse.org. In any case, it would be a good idea to make a backup of your favorite threads of the forum.
- There is a new chapter of the Yoga Book translation project. This time for the Old Honda character, with the help of Shogatsu for the strategy section.
- Corey Lanier wrote a long post to tell the story of how the scene in Canada was born and still running to this day.
By yogaboy |
- Monday Night Fights @ Arkadeum had its #59 weekly event with Hokuto (from Mexico) and Technical Monkey making it to the final. Bracket | Video
- Frank Vacanti has posted a new tutorial video. This time focussed on the Guile vs ChunLi match up.
- The LA Qualifier for the Free Play tournament in TX took place this past weekend @ Don’s arcade in LA. Most of the big names in SoCal were present: eltrouble, Millertime, Mr Igloo, AfroLegends, Silentscope, Digital Infamy, etc. Ultracombo and Darkness from NorCal came down for the tournament, as well as tomo from Japan who lives now in LA. The final between AfroLegends and tomo is truly espectacular coming down to a very close call at the end. Both of them along with Ultracombo, who took the 3rd place, are qualified for the Texas tournament. Video | Bracket
- Atari re-streamed the pools of the Boston tournament of last November. Damdai, JoshC and Atari did the commentary and they are planning to do the top 16 this coming week (tentatively on Thursday). Shortly after that it will all be available in the youtube channel along with the final episode of the casuals set.
- MAO has posted three new high level FT5 videos. Otochun vs Fujimon, MAO vs Kenta-kobe (a very known Honda in the online community) and Gunze vs Fujimon. All of them extremely good. MAO keeps all his FT5 videos indexed and searchable on the MAO-DB website.
- The anticipated event of Aniken vs Kotaka Shoten came out as one of the biggest upsets in the game history. Not necessarily because of the winner but because of the unexpected score. Daigo’s channel provides all the details before, during and after the match in this video (match starts at 19:47).
- Game Newton Ooyama special 2vs2 team tournament (Kanto) with the presence of Yaya Sagat and Komoda Blanka. Yaya not only plays some awesome matches throughout the tournament but also has a really good final against Tomoza Dictotor, a must-see match.
- North vs South tournament from the HL-SEGA arcade (Kansai) by Shogatsu with Edo ChunLi and Shogatsu defending their teams in the final.
- Shogatsu’s kumite new year’s eve special has been posted with the annotations of the list of opponents. Since it was just after the FOX tournament there are a lot of big names participating in it.
By yogaboy |
We hit our 10th X-News with the last week of the year. So far people seem quite happy about these publications so we’ll keep making them for the time being.
- Silentscope announced he will be taking over the streaming tasks in the WNF bi-weekly tournaments in LA. We hope to see his footage coming up soon.
- Frank Vacanti has been posting a new series of videos where he goes through the theory and strategy of some matchups, mainly for Guile, using online footage and step by step explanations.
- Combo Breaker tournament dates have been announced for next May. It will take place on Illinois and it will have a big ST event that has been getting bigger and bigger each year.
- Japan had one of their three annual majors this past weekend. The 4vs4 tournament called 4/X FOX. Each team had to have two world warrior characters, one new challenger and one boss. As it usually happens there was was a pre-event on the day before with a solo tournament which had Yuuvega and KKY making it to the finals. As it happened last year, there were a lot of upsets mainly because of Yakitori old Hawk beating a lot of grandmasters like Murasaki and Yuuvega, he even had his chance against MAO in the finals. Most of the big names were there even those that have been inactive during the year. However, we still miss Otochun and Aniken making it to the majors in Tokyo since 2014. Video of the main event | Bracket | Results
- As it happens every year by these dates, there was the Nagata Shogatsu new year’s eve special. Since it took place just the day after the 4/X FOX tournament there was a huge list of grandmasters to play against Shogatsu in the long kumite. Video with annotations will be posted very soon.
- Monthly ranking battle at Neyagawa ABC in Osaka (Kansai) [part 1, part 2, part 3] with the visit of MAO from Nagoya. You can hear how the crowd goes nuts when things don’t go so well for MAO (minute 32:10 of the first video). It’s always crazy to see that even when they do a single tournament in Japan they usually leave it to a single game (FT1) in each confrontation which makes it more brutal. The final is between Murasaki and Otochun. [Shogatsu’s nico channel]
- Gamespot Versus weekly tournament (Kanto) with Hide ChunLi and Kawamata Ryu as the team captains. [source: GSV youtube channel]
- With the Tournament of Legends III announcement taking place (see below) there are two European qualifiers confirmed run by LaDoseNet and First Attack, in Lyon and Morlaix respectively. July 15 and August 12 are the dates to save in your agenda.
- The teaser from last week has been finally been revealed. Tournament of Legends III will take place at the next Canada Cup, bigger than ever and with a bunch of qualifiers all year long across many countries. Read all the event details. We cannot be more excited!
- Kuroppi released a big project called Super Turbo Tournament Database where you can find results from the very early days of the tournaments to this day, across many countries and scenes. You can also filter your results by player name.
- As Daigo announced months ago, he will be hosting a special FT10 match between the two grandmasters Aniken Ken and Kotaka Shoten Guile. The match will take place on January 3 at 1pm JST (Japan Standard Time). There has been a lot of hype built around it. A pre-show event has been posted with insights around the match and with a surprise short exhibition between Muteki Guile and Daigo Ken (minute 26:20). On top of that, there was a very interesting video with English subtitles with interviews to other grandmasters so they could give their point of view. The grandmasters are Teppe, Gunze, Kurahashi and Yaya. Daigo twitch channel
By yogaboy |
- Monday Night Fights @ Arkadeum had its #58 weekly event with H-Zero vs Jarek in the final. Bracket | Video
- The first qualifier of the 2018 Spring Series in TX will happen this coming January 6 @ Don’s Arcade called SoCal Super Turbo Qualifier. Event page
- Atari posted the second and third parts of the Red Bull tournament casuals. In part, it was thanks to celebrate the fact his channel has reached 100 subscribers. Annotations will be added to the description of the videos very soon.
- Atari also posted the footage of the NEC tournament that happened last week. Annotations will be added very soon.
- Space Shuttle weekly tournament (Chubu) with two teams of three people: Prince, MAO and Kyouju vs. Yondaime, The Superstar and Tasaka. To make it longer they do a whole set with each team playing the 16 characters leaving their main characters to the very end. The final part is an exciting match between MAO and Tasaka Cammy [source: MAO’s nico channel]
- Gamespot Versus weekend tournament (Kanto). A 4vs4 team tournament format this time.
- Gamespot Versus weekly tournament (Kanto) with the return of Souzou FeiLong! Kawasim Dhalsim and Kawamata Ryu were the team captains. [source: GSV youtube channel]
- Game Daytona Shiki special tournament (Kanto). The two players with the longest run who made it to the final were Su Dhalsim and Shal Dictator.
- North vs South tournament from the HL-SEGA arcade (Kansai) by Shogatsu with a Mori Boxer and Shogatsu defending their teams in the final.
- Amipara Technoland East vs West tournament (Kansai). They also had a ‘winner stays’ format run on the same day.
- The First Attack community had their ranking battle with Solinvictus, Pierrot (aka Pijo) and Boulben making the top 3. Video of the finals | Bracket
- There was an announcement (actually, a teaser) in our twitter account about a possible upcoming event in 2018. Take your guess.