By kuroppi |
We’re excited to announce that this month’s Fightcade Offline Festival (FOF) taking place in Northern Spain will be a TOURNAMENT OF LEGENDS 3 Qualifier!
Notable players in attendance will be: MAO (Japan), TMF (Japan), GolcarJack (UK), Spinalblood (Italy), ISIMORN (France), Zharghatt (France), MAX (France), Rax (Spain).
Note: The tournament is open to all players however the qualifier spot will go to the highest placing European player.
Date: March 24, 2018
Stream link: NavArcade Akihabara in Spain
Facebook Event Page: https://www.facebook.com/events/144818986162861/
Registration/Brackets at smash.gg: https://smash.gg/tournament/fightcade-offline-festival-2018
Visit the TOURNAMENT OF LEGENDS 3 page for more information.
By yogaboy |
- The FPA tournament is coming in two weeks and they just announced their 4th Japanese invite, Murasaki Dictator, which means that they are now having two top Japanese players from Osaka (Otochun and Murasaki) and two top players from Tokyo (Mattsun and Yaya). Murasaki video announcement
- Tournament of Legends III launched their fundraiser campaign so people can get their signed poster, official program or t-shirt, among other things, and at the same time help bringing more resources to cover tournament expenses or Japanese invites.
- Final Round will take place this weekend and it will be the second qualifier for the Tournament of Legends III. Stream | Bracket
- Canada East Championships run an ST tournament with JED07, Dogberry, Unessential and JWong making it to the final stage. The stream also contains a FT10 teams exhibition. Stream archive | Brackets
- The guys of the Game Center in Belmont, CA announced an ST tournament for March 24 and will try to make it on a monthly basis. Registration | Stream
- L.A. WNF took place on Wednesday with a final between Tomo Ryu and silentscope Cammy. Video
- A mini-documentary about the Movieland arcade and the ST playerbase in Vancouver, BC was released back in February. The film was made by Zachary KerrHolden.
- Monday Night Fights @ Arkadeum run their #68 weekly event. The final this week was between x64 and Illegal. Bracket | Video
- The X-Count youtube channel has published several videos including the previously announced Kusumondo Kumite or the Otochun vs Teppei FT10. There are also a couple of FT5 exhibitions between Suzuyan vs Otochun and Lenas vs Tachiou.
- The Kemonomichi II battle between Kotaka Shoten and Ito DJ took place this past weekend. There was also a “pre show” event the night before with Kurahashi explaining the theory behind the Guile vs DJ matchup. The main event (minute 23) was really hype as most people expected.
- Another long set found in the old Japanese arcade streams. A 20 minute set from 2016 between Mu Dhalsim and Kusa Honda (his alt char).
- Special East vs West (more like central area vs West, the Tokyo area didn’t participate this time), Chubu vs Kansai (as in, Nagoya vs Osaka) hosted at Space Shuttle in Nagoya with all the top players from both areas with the exception of Aniken and Otochun. Fujimon DJ and MAO were the team captains. Needless to say, the most hype and most high level matches you will see in months. Many of the matches decided on the very last hit. [Part 1, Part 2, Part 3] [source: MAO’s nico channel]
- Gamespot Versus weekend 2vs2 tournament (Kanto). A very high level 2vs2 tournament with the strong players in Tokyo.
- North vs South tournament from the HL-SEGA arcade (Kansai) by Shogatsu. Otochun and Kusumondo are defending their teams in the final.
- Gamespot Versus weekly team tournament (Kanto) with Kawasim Dhalsim and Kawamata Ryu as team captains who fought the decisive battle at the very end. The French brothers Bazoukha Boxer and Abdel Boxer were present this week. [source: GSV youtube channel]
- The Fightcade Offline Festival is coming really soon. The organizers made a recent promotional video and announced that Rax, the best Spanish player, has confirmed his participation in the tournament.
- First Attack finally published the top 3 video of their last ranking battle between Pierrot, Solinvictus and the online legend Pe1port.
- The SRK Forums have been migrated to the new platform with nicer and more modern UI among other features. If you have any old links they might work as it is, otherwise use the Wayback Machine website to find the latest snapshot of that discussion.
- STNotW (ST Normal of the Week) by Fudd DJ and hosted on the Free Play Arcade group. This week’s subject is Zangief far medium kick.
By kuroppi |
Support ST Revival and the upcoming Tournament of Legends III by donating to this campaign. The third Tournament of Legends will be held at Canada Cup on October 26-28, 2018 in Toronto, Canada and we expect it will be the biggest TOL yet. Funds will be used for tournament expenses to ensure the best TOL possible.
At various points of the campaign, we will use the funds raised to invite Japanese grandmasters to join the tournament. In addition, we’ll apply funds to other expenses, such as the ToL3 championship belt and other prizes!
For each $650 raised, we will add one Japanese invite to the tournament.
Join us in carrying the banner of Super Street Fighter 2: Turbo for 2018 and beyond!
EVERY DONATION IS APPRECIATED, EVEN IF IT’S JUST A DOLLAR! THANK YOU!
$25 – ToL3 Mousepad
$50 – ToL3 T-Shirt or Unsigned ToL3 Poster – The ToL3 T-shirt will feature the ToL3 logo on the front and the “tour dates” on the back! (Please specify which item you would like when making this dontation)
$75 – ToL3 Official Program – Our ToL3 program will be filled with all sorts of tidbits about ToL3, the history of ToL, and other Super Turbo nuggets!
$100 – Signed ToL3 Poster – The tradition continues with the iconic ToL poster signed by all the qualifiers. A collector’s item that will be the gem of your collection!
$200 – Signed Poster + Program + T-Shirt + Mousepad – If you really like to help out the cause consider this donation and get all the ToL goodies in one package!
By yogaboy |
- Tournament of Legends III made a first draft of the poster that will have all the qualified players. Next stop will be at Final Round tournament in Atlanta on March 16-18.
- Monday Night Fights @ Arkadeum run their #67 weekly event. The final this week was between x64 and Kuroppi. Bracket | Video
- A teaser trailer has been posted on the X-Count project youtube channel. Kusumondo will be facing another player who hasn’t been revealed yet. The date is unknown as well. This project is hosted in Osaka but they have worked together with Mattsun in Tokyo to host all the X-Count information in the ssf2x.net domain where the Tokyo tournaments are usually announced. It’s nice to see these two areas in Japan working together this way.
- Daigo is adding some more hype to the upcoming Kemonomichi battle between Kotaka Shoten and Ito DJ. He posted a video where he talks about how DJ wasn’t played seriously in the scene until Ito came in the late 2000s (15 years after the release of the game) and made DJ a relevant character in tournaments, opening the doors to new players after him and even causing some changes in the tier list (according to MAO).
- Another long set found in the old Japanese arcade streams. A 30 minute set from 2016 between Mattsun Ken and Yuzuru DJ.
- Space Shuttle weekly team tournament (Chubu) with Futachan Ryu and MAO as team captains and the guest visit of Ando Old FeiLong. [source: MAO’s nico channel]
- Gamespot Versus special tournament (Kanto). A very high level 3vs3 tournament as part of their XV3on3S series. Besides Yakitori beasting with his Old Hawk as usual you can also see the best ChunLi’s in Tokyo facing each other several times including the decisive match.
- North vs South tournament from the HL-SEGA arcade (Kansai) by Shogatsu. KKY Dhalsim and Shogatsu himself are defending their teams in the final.
- Gamespot Versus weekly team tournament (Kanto) with Kawasim Dhalsim and Aoba Claw as team captains and the guest visit of Bazoukha Boxer from France. [source: GSV youtube channel]
- Game Daytona Shiki weekly tournament (Kanto). With their usual “winner stays on” format. There are always 2 laps. This week’s final is between Tomoza Boxer and Ochamaru Honda.
- Konbo and Rushdown Edinburg associations joined forces to organize a tournament in Edinburg (UK) on March 25. It will have New Astro City cabinets and a £50 bonus to the winner on top of the pot split.
- BeatBy44 association had their second monthly ranking battle in Nantes (France) with a final between MMK and TheDead and with a newcomer player called Fappy who dares to play Hawk and Gief as his mains. Videos will be coming soon. Bracket
- The same BeatBy44 group has been reminding everyone that their biggest event of the year is coming on April 7 with the Nantarena 18.1.
- Someone in France proposed to use the vs-league platform to make a 2X online league in Europe. For now, he posted event link to see how many players sign up to this idea.
- STNotW (ST Normal of the Week) by Fudd DJ and hosted on the Free Play Arcade group. This week’s subject is ChunLi Jump medium kick.
- Atari posted a third video of The Dublo7 Archives series. The old tournament is held at 8 on the Break in Dunellen, NJ on July 22, 2001. In the video you can see Pete Talley and Bill Gould (Nothingness) among other players.
By kuroppi |
With the first qualifier in the bag after last week’s Winter Brawl, the initial version of the ToL3 poster is here with krost as the lone qualifier!
Keep checking back to the TOURNAMENT OF LEGENDS III page to view the latest version of the poster. The next qualifier takes place March 16-18 at Final Round. Who will be the next to be immortalized on the ToL3 poster?
By yogaboy |
- The first qualifier of Tournament of Legends III took place last weekend at Winter Brawl with players coming not only from the US but also Canada and France. Congratulations to Krost for being the first qualified player! For some reason the brackets are down right now. They will be posted here if they get fixed. Video | Results
- WNF @ e-sports Arena in LA took place on Wednesday with a final between tomo Ryu and eltrouble Dhalsim. No brackets available. Video
- Monday Night Fights @ Arkadeum run their #66 weekly event. The final this week was between H-Zero and illegal. Bracket | Video
- The Lost Ark arcade in NC run another Super Turbo Sessions of casuals. It was all recorded in their stream archive.
- IFixMachine also had their Super Turbo session in NY and it was also recorded in their youtube channel.
- In order to enjoy Ito‘s mastery of multiple characters before his participation on Daigo‘s challenge, Opemai Claw has posted a 40 minute set between Ito Ryu and MAO Claw on his channel. Any Ryu player who wants to learn how to play against Claw should watch this set. He plays a more defensive style than Futachan Ryu but still using all of new Ryu’s tools with precision to counter MAO.
- Mattsun announced the dates of the X-er tournament, their 3rd edition. It will be on March 18. X-er is one of the 4 majors happening in Tokyo every year. In this case, it’s a 2vs2 tournament with the rule that only those that have never won a major in the past (in the history of the game) are allowed to participate.
- Some more gems found by Xgamerz in the buried old footage of the Japanese arcades. An 18 minute set from 2016 between Yuuvega and Sashishi Ryu, and a 10 minute set from 2015 between Muteki Guile and MB DJ (his main is Boxer).
- Space Shuttle weekly team tournament (Chubu) with Futachan Ryu and MAO as team captains. This week’s highlight, besides the usual weird intro, is Prince ChunLi using Guile, which was the character he was using in the early days. He does a perfect to a Dhalsim player at minute 10:55 which is not very common to see. [source: MAO’s nico channel]
- Gamespot Versus special tournament (Kanto). The fancy rule this time is that they made two teams separated by age. “Youngs” vs “Olds”. Read the video description if you want to know who is the oldest and who is the youngest.
- North vs South tournament from the HL-SEGA arcade (Kansai) by Shogatsu. The very O.G. Mori Boxer and Takanotsume Zangief are defending their teams in the final.
- Gamespot Versus weekly team tournament (Kanto) with the team victory decided in the very last match between the two captains, Kawasim Dhalsim and Palestina ChunLi. [source: GSV youtube channel]
- Game Daytona Shiki weekly tournament (Kanto). With their usual “winner stays on” format. There are always 2 laps. This week’s final is between Aoki Cyclone Zangief and Tomoza Blanka.
- Playland F1R 2on2 tournament (Tohoku). From the remote arcade in the very far north of Japan. As always, teams and timestamps are in the video description.
- Ladosenet run their monthly ranking battle with 26 players and with Isimorn and Zarghatt making it to the final. Video | Bracket
- SWGA Bordeux run a local tournament with the following final podium: Wolmar, Soon and Kazuhya. Unfortunately, there are no videos available.
- The guys behind the Fightcade Offline Festival in Spain have announced that Spinalblood and Dany Vega will be coming from Italy to participate in the tournament as well as Golcarjack from the UK.
- Fightcade opened their beta to the public so any registered user can start testing it. A lot of improvements have been added to this version. They also created a Patreon site for those who have been asking to support the project for the longest time. Beta download
- XSPR has recently released a new version of the tool called TRUST (v10), which lets you programmatically automate character moves for your training mode. He also created video tutorials, both in English and Japanese, on how to install and set up the tool.
- Although we have been mentioning the recent posts of Fudd DJ for the #STNotW (ST Normal of the Week), he has been doing it for a while. Fourteen weeks to be more precise. Chris Delp has provided a full list of these posts written in the Free Play Arcade group. Last week, the post was about Ryu far standing strong.
- This week, on February 23rd, our beloved game turned 24. Really looking forward to next year’s 25th anniversary to rock the party!
By kuroppi |
Winter Brawl takes place this weekend and the first TOURNAMENT OF LEGENDS III qualifier is on Saturday!
Who will be crowned the first qualifier for ToL III? If you can’t make it to the event, you can watch it live on Atari’s TwitchTV Channel starting at 9AM PST/12PM EST.
Brackets can be found here on smash.gg.
By yogaboy |
- The first qualifier of Tournament of Legends III will happen this weekend at Winter Brawl! (February 23-25). The tournament will be streamed on Atari‘s twitch channel.
- Rewind II tournament took place @ E-sports Arena with most of the big names in SoCal: eltrouble, MillerTime, MuffinMan, Silentscope, tomo, AfroLegends and Alex Valle (!). The final was the now classic tomo vs AfroLegends. Youtube videos are coming soon. Brackets | Stream video
- Monday Night Fights @ Arkadeum run their #65 weekly event. H-Zero and dbostick made it to the final. Bracket | Video
- Dbostick run the 10th edition of the monthly King of the Dojo (KotD) tournament with the participation of known online north American players in a round robin format. Video | Bracket
- aznpikachu215 hosted another edition of the Fightcade Friday Fights with many known online players attending. Video | Bracket
- Free Play Arcade made a very good mini documentary that goes through all the versions of SF2 and finally talks about the competitive scene of ST. This serves as a good preview and marketing of the huge tournament that will be run in March at Free Play Arlington.
- The anticipated FT10 match between Otochun and Teppei took place this past weekend in Osaka (Kansai). The stream video also contains several FT5 exhibitions afterwards plus some more commented casuals between top players. Separated videos for each match will be posted soon on the X-Count project youtube channel.
- Daigo announced that the second ST Kemonomichi FT10 series will be between Kotaka Shoten and Ito DJ, one of the best players in the scene. You can see the official announcement which also contains some interesting interviews that give more details about Ito‘s story and background.
- Long set of 20 minutes between Yaya Sagat and Shu Ken. It was probably played after last week tournament at Matmouse.
- An hour and a half (!) set between VIPER Hawk and Munari Sagat. However, they use their pocket characters to make the classic Guile vs Ryu battle. The set took place at Game Newton Ooyama arcade.
- Xgamerz realized there are a lot of these long sets between players buried in the streams. Sometimes they leave the stream on after the tournaments and then it’s when these sets happen. So he started searching if he could find more of these gems in old footage. This week he found a long set of 30 minutes between Tomoza Dictator and Souzou FeiLong, the best FeiLong on the planet, now inactive. For those wondering how this matchup goes it’s supposed to be 6-4 in Dictator’s favor. The fight happened back in 2015 and was played at Gamespot Versus.
- The Danisen series at Gamespot Versus are back! (Kanto) They run from 2010 to 2013. Many people remember the popular wooden board of the rankings located at the entrance of the arcade. Now in 2018 they started again including all the new players that have become usual ones in the last years. Videos with full annotations: Part 1, Part 2, Part 3, Part 4.
- Special tournament at Kawachieiwa Enpara arcade in Osaka (Kansai). Not sure if this is part of the monthly ranking battle or not. “Winner stays on” format with 2 laps. However, for the playoffs they use some sort of ratio points shown in the description. Most of the big names in Osaka are present. The final is between Gunze Zangief (with an amazing performance throughout the tournament) and Otochun (using Honda).
- Space Shuttle weekly team tournament (Chubu) with Futachan Ryu and MAO as team captains. MAO with his glorious video intros eating oysters this time lol [source: MAO’s nico channel]
- Gamespot Versus special tournament (Kanto). If you thought that Japanese have the most creative tournament formats (or the most silly ones) wait to hear this one: double elimination, whoever wins the match LOSES! Yes, you read it right. So the grand final was between the two only players who never won a match: Nemo vs ToneP.
- North vs South tournament from the HL-SEGA arcade (Kansai) by Shogatsu. Kusumondo Honda and Tsuji Boxer are defending their teams in the final. Warning, the audio is all messed up.
- Gamespot Versus weekly team tournament (Kanto) with the return of Hakase Dhalsim (translated as the honorary title ‘doctor’), Hiroyan Ryu is the other team captain. Don’t miss the jaw dropping performance of Kotaka Shoten, including the match against Hakase himself. [source: GSV youtube channel]
- Game Daytona Shiki weekly tournament (Kanto). With their usual “winner stays on” format. There are always 2 laps. Players usually play one lap with their main and another one with their alt character. The known American Gaijin XSPR Ryu has an awesome performance as he did few months ago. This time he makes a long streak to put him in the final against Koemon FeiLong.
- Game Newton Ooyama special tournament (Kanto) with 10 of the known strong players in Tokyo forming two teams for a 5vs5 battle.
- First Attack run their 5th ranking battle on Saturday. Videos and results will be posted soon.
- Steal City Clash (SCC) is an event that will run tournaments for 4 games, ST being one of them. It will take place on February 25 @ Sheffield, UK. It’s not clear whether there will be a stream or not. Tournament details
- The Spanish community had their monthly online tournament, this time to warm up for the big Fightcade Offline Festival coming in March. The finals are between shine and christiankbcao. Bracket
- Atari posted another video of the Dublo7 (aka David Spence) archive project. This second video contains footage recorded at the B5 (pre-EVO) tournament in 2001. It has the 4 big names of the old school in the US: AfroCole, John Choi, Alex Valle and Mike Watson.
- As every Monday, Fudd DJ posted another #STNotW (ST Normal of the Week) write up on the Free Play Arcade group. This week he goes through Blanka’s st.lk or “crab kick”.
- The legendary commentator and Cammy player James Chen was interviewed by fighter101 recently and it was all published this week. A really good read with many details and anecdotes of ST and the FGC.
- For those who are lucky enough to be able to read Japanese, there is a resource made by Gambiko who posts very detailed write ups about ST matchups and strategies every other day (!). He started around 5 months ago but it’s never late to feature great resources like this with so much content.
By yogaboy |
- Monday Night Fights @ Arkadeum run their #64 weekly event. H-Zero and x64 made it to the final. Bracket | Video
- There were both online and offline tournaments organized in a town 2 hours from Toronto. Only the stream archive of the online one is available to view.
- There will be an event called Rewind II @ E-sports Arena in LA on February 17. Several games will be featured in there and ST will have a side tournament.
- Vampire Arcadia will hold the Makai World Cup event in Cincinnati on March 10. ST will be one of the games of the event.
- Another FT10 has been added to the X-Count project in Osaka (Kansai). The match is really spectacular between Gunze Zangief and Tsuji Boxer (live version | restreamed version). This coming Saturday will be the day for the previously announced Otochun vs Teppei.
- SeanSRK and Chris Delp were invited to the Matmouse arcade in their final days in Japan. The players who gathered there to play were Mattsun Ken, Kameraya Ken, Shu Ken, Soiya and yaya. Video (no annotations)
- Space Shuttle special tournament (Chubu). Well, not exactly at Space Shuttle… the guys from the arcade went to some sort of pub and they played and commented the tournament from there while they were happily having some drinks (I guess they moved all the streaming equipment and maybe the cabinet there). The format is also a little bit unusual: a team tournament between two teams with each player using 4 characters.
- Space Shuttle weekly team tournament (Chubu) with Superstar Boxer and Prince Chunli as team captains. Don’t miss the exhibition at the intro of MAO playing Bomberman! [source: MAO’s nico channel]
- Gamespot Versus special tournament (Kanto) with a very special format where players do one game with their main character and another game using the character of their opponent. If the result at that point is 1-1 then they do a final match with the players using their main characters again. Just think of how many fun situations and mental pressure this format can lead: your opponent being better than you with your own character or the other way around. KKY was visiting from Osaka and he participates in a final exhibition after the tournament.
- Gamespot Versus weekly team tournament (Kanto) with Kawasim Dhalsim and Bunchin Fei as team captains. [source: GSV youtube channel]
- Game Daytona Shiki weekly tournament (Kanto). With their usual “winner stays on” format. The intense final is between Gucchi Ryu and Keishin Claw (!)
- Stunfest is back after last year’s absence. They announced they will have both teams and singles tournaments for ST/2X. 15-17 May. Registrations are already open.
- LaDoseNet celebrated its 5th anniversary with a weekend tournament. Zagi and Balcork were invited over from Paris. Videos will be posted with annotations on youtube soon. Stream archive | Bracket
- First Attack will be having their 5th ranking battle on February 18th. Event details
- Atari started a project along David Spence (aka dublo7) in order to digitalize a lot of tournament footage from the US in the early 2000s. All that content has been seating on VHS for the longest time and now it’s been posted on Atari’s youtube channel (one video for now, more coming soon)
- The site Goukipedia is planning to publish a new section called ‘extras’ which will host a lot of content coming from magazines, merchandise and other sources. The first part of that section is the one dedicated to the 1994 Bandai Cards, specifically those dedicated to SF2. Many more details about the cards will be added to the FAQ section soon.
- Fudd DJ started a project, along with the Free Play arcade guys, where he will be posting about a normal of the game every week. In his posts he will be going through the insights and uses of the move supported by stories or graphic data. In his first episode he talks about Ken j.HK.