By yogaboy |
- Monday Night Fights @ Arkadeum run their #60 weekly event with H-Zero and RealDecoy making it to the final. Bracket | Video
- The guys from the Free Play Tournament in Texas (coming in March) announced their first Japanese invites: the grandmasters Otochun, Yaya and Mattsun.
- IFixMachine run a tournament in NY which in turn was the second qualifier for the Free Play Tournament in Texas. JoshC, Techmonkey and ‘E to the NG‘ were the three qualified players. Video (no annotations) | Brackets
- Silentscope streamed, for the first time in his channel, the WNF tournament @ e-sports Arena in LA. Eltrouble, Millertime and Silentscope took the first 3 places in the final results. Video (no annotations)
- Atari re-streamed the top 16 of the Boston tournament of last November. With commentators from west coast, east coast and Canada simultaneously. That is, Damdai, JoshC, Atari and Ultracombo. The plan is to upload everything on the youtube channel with proper annotations soon.
- An event called Super Turbo Sessions has been announced for January 27 @ Lost Ark arcade in NC. It will be streamed on their twitch channel and it will have Damdai and Rekkaken as guests.
- Gamespot Versus had their usual weekend stream but this time with some high level long series between Kotaka Shoten, Shiki and Kurahashi. Xgamerz edited the videos and posted them separately for you to enjoy. Shiki Guile vs Kurahashi Ryu, Kotaka Shoten Guile vs Shiki Boxer, Kotaka Shoten Guile vs Kurahashi Ryu. It’s not clear what the target score of the series was. They run around 15 to 20 games.
- Special Shiki Kumite at Gamespot Versus arcade (Kanto), where he plays against the local players using all the 16 characters of the game.
- Space Shuttle special tournament (Chubu) with almost all the top players of Nagoya participating like Gotoh Ryu, Futachan Ryu, Superstar, MAO, etc. With the participation of probably the only two Japanese players who have used Old Ryu in tournaments over the years: Mayumura and tsumakiRYU. Also with the participation of Ando Old Feilong, not only one of the only old Feilongs in Japan but also one of the oldest players (age wise) in the scene. There are no brackets nor explanations of the format nor proper video annotations which makes it a little bit harder to follow but it’s still really worth watching. You would never ever guess who defeats MAO in the tournament (minute 29:17) and almost takes the whole thing against Futachan in the final. Note: there is an error in the annotations, the Cammy player is always Tasaka. [source: MAO’s nico channel]
- Space Shuttle weekly team tournament (Chubu) with MAO and Superstar Boxer as team captains and playing each other in the decisive final match. [source: MAO’s nico channel]
- Gamespot Versus weekly team tournament (Kanto) as always with more than 50 players participating. Kawasim Dhalsim and Suzuka Dhalsim were the team captains. A great chance to see Yaya playing his Ken. There was also one of the most spectaculars comebacks ever seen at minute 14:27. [source: GSV youtube channel]
- Game Daytona Shiki special tournament (Kanto). With their usual “winner stays on” format. The two players with the longest run who made it to the final were Tsumura Hawk and PECO, who has been using Ken instead of Old Ken in the last months.
- North vs South tournament from the HL-SEGA arcade (Kansai) by Shogatsu with Murasaki dictator and Kusumondo Honda defending their teams in the final.
- Ladosenet announced a tournament that will take place on February 10th in honor of their 5th anniversary. They also posted a video as a review of all the tournament moments of 2017, mostly ST related, including their trip to Japan.
- First attack made a tour video of their arcade venue where they also explain their plans for 2018.
- Earlier this week, Tom Cannon was announcing that SRK forums would be shutting down. However, the community convinced the organizers to keep the content and even migrate to a more modern platform for forums, discourse.org. In any case, it would be a good idea to make a backup of your favorite threads of the forum.
- There is a new chapter of the Yoga Book translation project. This time for the Old Honda character, with the help of Shogatsu for the strategy section.
- Corey Lanier wrote a long post to tell the story of how the scene in Canada was born and still running to this day.
By yogaboy |
- Monday Night Fights @ Arkadeum had its #59 weekly event with Hokuto (from Mexico) and Technical Monkey making it to the final. Bracket | Video
- Frank Vacanti has posted a new tutorial video. This time focussed on the Guile vs ChunLi match up.
- The LA Qualifier for the Free Play tournament in TX took place this past weekend @ Don’s arcade in LA. Most of the big names in SoCal were present: eltrouble, Millertime, Mr Igloo, AfroLegends, Silentscope, Digital Infamy, etc. Ultracombo and Darkness from NorCal came down for the tournament, as well as tomo from Japan who lives now in LA. The final between AfroLegends and tomo is truly espectacular coming down to a very close call at the end. Both of them along with Ultracombo, who took the 3rd place, are qualified for the Texas tournament. Video | Bracket
- Atari re-streamed the pools of the Boston tournament of last November. Damdai, JoshC and Atari did the commentary and they are planning to do the top 16 this coming week (tentatively on Thursday). Shortly after that it will all be available in the youtube channel along with the final episode of the casuals set.
- MAO has posted three new high level FT5 videos. Otochun vs Fujimon, MAO vs Kenta-kobe (a very known Honda in the online community) and Gunze vs Fujimon. All of them extremely good. MAO keeps all his FT5 videos indexed and searchable on the MAO-DB website.
- The anticipated event of Aniken vs Kotaka Shoten came out as one of the biggest upsets in the game history. Not necessarily because of the winner but because of the unexpected score. Daigo’s channel provides all the details before, during and after the match in this video (match starts at 19:47).
- Game Newton Ooyama special 2vs2 team tournament (Kanto) with the presence of Yaya Sagat and Komoda Blanka. Yaya not only plays some awesome matches throughout the tournament but also has a really good final against Tomoza Dictotor, a must-see match.
- North vs South tournament from the HL-SEGA arcade (Kansai) by Shogatsu with Edo ChunLi and Shogatsu defending their teams in the final.
- Shogatsu’s kumite new year’s eve special has been posted with the annotations of the list of opponents. Since it was just after the FOX tournament there are a lot of big names participating in it.
By yogaboy |
We hit our 10th X-News with the last week of the year. So far people seem quite happy about these publications so we’ll keep making them for the time being.
- Silentscope announced he will be taking over the streaming tasks in the WNF bi-weekly tournaments in LA. We hope to see his footage coming up soon.
- Frank Vacanti has been posting a new series of videos where he goes through the theory and strategy of some matchups, mainly for Guile, using online footage and step by step explanations.
- Combo Breaker tournament dates have been announced for next May. It will take place on Illinois and it will have a big ST event that has been getting bigger and bigger each year.
- Japan had one of their three annual majors this past weekend. The 4vs4 tournament called 4/X FOX. Each team had to have two world warrior characters, one new challenger and one boss. As it usually happens there was was a pre-event on the day before with a solo tournament which had Yuuvega and KKY making it to the finals. As it happened last year, there were a lot of upsets mainly because of Yakitori old Hawk beating a lot of grandmasters like Murasaki and Yuuvega, he even had his chance against MAO in the finals. Most of the big names were there even those that have been inactive during the year. However, we still miss Otochun and Aniken making it to the majors in Tokyo since 2014. Video of the main event | Bracket | Results
- As it happens every year by these dates, there was the Nagata Shogatsu new year’s eve special. Since it took place just the day after the 4/X FOX tournament there was a huge list of grandmasters to play against Shogatsu in the long kumite. Video with annotations will be posted very soon.
- Monthly ranking battle at Neyagawa ABC in Osaka (Kansai) [part 1, part 2, part 3] with the visit of MAO from Nagoya. You can hear how the crowd goes nuts when things don’t go so well for MAO (minute 32:10 of the first video). It’s always crazy to see that even when they do a single tournament in Japan they usually leave it to a single game (FT1) in each confrontation which makes it more brutal. The final is between Murasaki and Otochun. [Shogatsu’s nico channel]
- Gamespot Versus weekly tournament (Kanto) with Hide ChunLi and Kawamata Ryu as the team captains. [source: GSV youtube channel]
- With the Tournament of Legends III announcement taking place (see below) there are two European qualifiers confirmed run by LaDoseNet and First Attack, in Lyon and Morlaix respectively. July 15 and August 12 are the dates to save in your agenda.
- The teaser from last week has been finally been revealed. Tournament of Legends III will take place at the next Canada Cup, bigger than ever and with a bunch of qualifiers all year long across many countries. Read all the event details. We cannot be more excited!
- Kuroppi released a big project called Super Turbo Tournament Database where you can find results from the very early days of the tournaments to this day, across many countries and scenes. You can also filter your results by player name.
- As Daigo announced months ago, he will be hosting a special FT10 match between the two grandmasters Aniken Ken and Kotaka Shoten Guile. The match will take place on January 3 at 1pm JST (Japan Standard Time). There has been a lot of hype built around it. A pre-show event has been posted with insights around the match and with a surprise short exhibition between Muteki Guile and Daigo Ken (minute 26:20). On top of that, there was a very interesting video with English subtitles with interviews to other grandmasters so they could give their point of view. The grandmasters are Teppe, Gunze, Kurahashi and Yaya. Daigo twitch channel
By kuroppi |
With this new year, we bring you a new ToL!
In celebration of the 30th anniversary of Street Fighter, we have listened to popular demand, and are happy to announce that we have made big plans to run another TOURNAMENT OF LEGENDS! We’re very excited to announce TOURNAMENT OF LEGENDS III, which will build on the worldwide success of the previous ToLs, held in 2012 and 2014. These events were preceded by qualifier events all around the globe, and that will once again be the case with ToL III.
As you’ve seen in the last couple years, big things have happened in ST at Canada Cup, and to build on that, the Super Turbo Revival Committee has decided to run ToL III at Canada Cup 2018. Rest assured that the committee is working hard to make the third installment of TOURNAMENT OF LEGENDS bigger than ever.
Once again, there will be 32 spots for the tournament, the bulk of which will go to qualifiers, with the remaining spots being assigned to Japanese invites. Qualifiers will be held in the US, Canada, France, and the UK, and we have several already locked in, with more to be announced in due course. There will also be a number of last-chance qualifier spots up for grabs at Canada Cup.
Visit the TOURNAMENT OF LEGENDS III page for more information about ToLIII.
Stay tuned to NHC, Twitter, and www.strevival.com for the latest updates and announcements, and we hope to see you at ToL III.
By yogaboy |
- Monday Night Fights @ Arkadeum had its #58 weekly event with H-Zero vs Jarek in the final. Bracket | Video
- The first qualifier of the 2018 Spring Series in TX will happen this coming January 6 @ Don’s Arcade called SoCal Super Turbo Qualifier. Event page
- Atari posted the second and third parts of the Red Bull tournament casuals. In part, it was thanks to celebrate the fact his channel has reached 100 subscribers. Annotations will be added to the description of the videos very soon.
- Atari also posted the footage of the NEC tournament that happened last week. Annotations will be added very soon.
- Space Shuttle weekly tournament (Chubu) with two teams of three people: Prince, MAO and Kyouju vs. Yondaime, The Superstar and Tasaka. To make it longer they do a whole set with each team playing the 16 characters leaving their main characters to the very end. The final part is an exciting match between MAO and Tasaka Cammy [source: MAO’s nico channel]
- Gamespot Versus weekend tournament (Kanto). A 4vs4 team tournament format this time.
- Gamespot Versus weekly tournament (Kanto) with the return of Souzou FeiLong! Kawasim Dhalsim and Kawamata Ryu were the team captains. [source: GSV youtube channel]
- Game Daytona Shiki special tournament (Kanto). The two players with the longest run who made it to the final were Su Dhalsim and Shal Dictator.
- North vs South tournament from the HL-SEGA arcade (Kansai) by Shogatsu with a Mori Boxer and Shogatsu defending their teams in the final.
- Amipara Technoland East vs West tournament (Kansai). They also had a ‘winner stays’ format run on the same day.
- The First Attack community had their ranking battle with Solinvictus, Pierrot (aka Pijo) and Boulben making the top 3. Video of the finals | Bracket
- There was an announcement (actually, a teaser) in our twitter account about a possible upcoming event in 2018. Take your guess.
By yogaboy |
- Monday Night Fights @ Arkadeum had its #57 weekly event with H-Zero (O. Sagat) from Mexico taking it over Techmonkey (ChunLi). Bracket | Video
- Marsgatti won the ST tournament @ NEC18 held in Pennsylvania. Videos will be posted soon. Stream archive | Bracket
- IFixMachine and 2Old2Furious have joined forces to organize a tournament on January 13 in NY. This tournament will be a qualifier for the Free Play Texas tournament of next year.
- Super Turbo Showdown has been announced for February 3. It will be held in Toronto. This tournament will be also a qualifier for the Free Play tournament.
- IFixMachine also announced they will be holding a special event on December 30. So if you are in the NY area you already have a tournament waiting for you.
- The Super Turbo Chile community run their weekly ST event on Wednesday. Live video of the finals | Bracket
- Atari posted the first part of the casuals set played at the Redbull tournament that happened a month ago. You can see a lot of Otochun, Aniken, Ultracombo and other players in it.
- Space Shuttle weekly tournament (Chubu) with the visit of Ha-kun Honda to the arcade. Since there weren’t too many people they decided to put Ha-Kun on one team and the rest of the players on the other with unusual characters (except in the exhibition). That gives you the chance to see rare plays like MAO picking ChunLi and Zangief. [source: MAO’s nico channel]
- Gamespot Versus weekend tournament (Kanto) with a mini east vs. west format with Shal Boxer and Seo ChunLi as team captains.
- Neyagawa ABC monthly ranking battle in Osaka (Kansai) [part 1, part 2, part 3, part 4] with MAO visiting from Nagoya. However, the lack of detailed annotations and information about the format makes it a little bit hard to follow.
- Game Newton Ooyama special team tournament (Kanto) with a lot of good matches from Bunshin FeiLong.
- Gamespot Versus weekly tournament (Kanto) with Kawasim Dhalsim and Kawamata Ryu as team captains. There has been an inside joke in the arcade for the last 3 weeks where they change some player names to character names from ‘Dragon Quest’. This must be very fun for them but not so much for us to follow. For instance, the guy playing with FeiLong as ‘Eigyou Buchou’ is Yuuvega messing around with Fei. Senshi Lv50 is Taichou Zangief (not Atomic Boy). Moyomoto Lv49 is Kawasim. [source: GSV youtube channel]
- Game Daytona Shiki special tournament (Kanto) with the return of Keishin ChunLi! However, the two players with the longest run who made it to the final were Kawasim Dhalsim and Shal Ken.
By yogaboy |
- Monday Night Fights @ Arkadeum had its #56 weekly event with a final between Real Decoy (Blanka) and Techmonkey (ChunLi) going to the last game last round. Bracket | Video
- Wednesday Night Fights @ eSports Arena had some crazy exciting finals between tomo (Ryu), Afro Legends (DJ/Boxer) and eltrouble (Dhalsim). Videos
- Dbostick announced he will be hosting the last ‘The King of the Dojo’ online tournament of the year. December 19 @7pm Pacific time. 1st place will win a $10 digital gift card for Steam. Registration
- Bob Huynh is still in the US so they organized a tournament at Garret Tuttle’s place with arcade cabinets. Videos | Bracket
- Space Shuttle weekly tournament (Chubu). A FT3 format between the two teams. MAO and Superstar are the team captains. [source: MAO’s nico channel]
- Gamespot Versus weekly tournament (Kanto) with a special visit of Kusumondo from Osaka. He and Kawasim were the team captains. [source: GSV youtube channel]
- Game Daytona Shiki special tournament (Kanto). Lots of action with a 2on2 tournament, a 5on5 special and a Kawamata Ryu Kumite!
- Gamespot Versus special single tournament (Kanto). Top 4 was formed by Hide ChunLi, Mu Dhalsim, Kusa Honda (alt char) and Yakitori Old Hawk.
- Gamespot Versus special 3on3 event. Final: Minarai (O. Ryu), Haijin (Ryu), Kusa (ChunLi) vs. Cross (FeiLong), Tomoza (Dictator), Suzuki (Zangief).
- North vs South tournament from the HL-SEGA arcade (Kansai) by Shogatsu with a final between himself and Kusumondo.
- A tournament took place in Strasburg, France, called Bat’cade V. The recorded grand final was between DonYann (Ken) and Milanea (Old Honda/Honda). Video | Bracket
- Another article coming from the LaDoseNet translation project of the Yoga Books. This time it’s Old Ken.
- MAO confirmed he will be going to the Fightcade Offline Festival in Spain next March.
- Capcom announced a 30th Anniversary Collection to be released on several platforms in May 2018. ST will have online play, rankings, sprite viewers and galleries among other features. We don’t know how faithful it will be to the arcade until we can test it. Trailer
By yogaboy |
- Monday Night Fights @ Arkadeum had its #55 weekly event with a RenoMD vs. Techmonkey final going to the last game last round. Bracket | Video
- Space Shuttle weekly tournament (Chubu). More crowded than usual. Don’t miss the crazy final between Yondaime Old Sagat (not New!) and MAO [source: MAO’s nico channel]
- Gamespot Versus weekly tournament (Kanto) with Hustler Claw and Kawamata Ryu as team captains. [source: GSV youtube channel]
- Game Daytona Shiki tournament (Kanto). The two players with the longest win streak get into the final. Su Dhalsim vs Nakajima Guile in this case.
- Gamespot Versus special 3on3 event. Exciting team tournament with the usual guys at GSV.
- North vs South tournament from the HL-SEGA arcade (Kansai) by Shogatsu with an amazing final between Kusumondo and KKY.
- Game Newton Ooyama tournament (Kanto). With a 4vs4 double bracket format.
- There are more details about the upcoming major in Japan (there are 4 each year) also known as FOX tournament, a 4vs4 event. The date of the tournament will be on December 30th with two special events, one the the day before the tournament and one the day after. The one on the 31st will be the classic Nagata special event for new year’s eve.
- The French community ‘First Attack’ run their ranking battle with Pe1port taking it with his Blanka. Videos of the final have been posted in their facebook event page.
By yogaboy |
- Monday Night Fights @ Arkadeum had its #54 weekly event with Techmonkey, x64 and kuroppi as the resulting podium. Bracket | Video
- Bob Huynh (aka Mr Bob) was paying a visit to Minneapolis from Japan so the local guys from the famous Paradise Arcade Shop organized a special tournament for the occasion. The videos of the final can be found in the facebook page of the event. Bracket
- The first qualifier of the big 2018 Spring Series tournament in TX has been announced and it will take place @ Don’s Arcade in Torrance, CA on January 6th. A facebook page is likely to be created with more details soon.
- The same Texas guys of the aforementioned tournament streamed their monthly ST event @ the Free Play Arlington arcade this week. Bracket | Stream
- Eltrouble uploaded several videos to his channel of the WNF that occurred on the Wednesday before the Redbull tournament. There you can see DGV, Tomo and AfroLegends going at each other.
- Space Shuttle weekly tournament (Chubu). This week they did a 5 team vs a 3 team. First to two team victories. Superstar and MAO as team captains [source: MAO’s nico channel]
- Gamespot Versus weekly tournament (Kanto) with Hustler Claw and Kawasim Dhalsim as team captains. [source: GSV youtube channel]
- Game Daytona Shiki tournament (Kanto) with most players playing their alt character. The two players with the longest win streak get into the final. Cellotape Zangief vs Kawasim DJ in this case.
- Gamespot Versus special event. Nikaiten is the owner of GSV arcade. It was his birthday so they made a special event where he plays against everyone using all 16 characters. For some reason they did the same format few days after.
- North vs South tournament from the HL-SEGA arcade (Kansai) by Shogatsu. This week with the visit of Tomoza Dictator from Tokyo. Shogatsu started putting the player names in both Japanese and English.
- Amipara Technoland East vs West tournament (Kansai) [part 1, part 2, part 3] with Kibidaru Dhalsim and Urakeni boxer as team captains.
- The guys from X-Mania Europe 5 have announced that TMF Zangief will be their second Japanese invite. Shinonii was the first one announced last week.
- TMF will also be attending the Fightcade Offline Festival in Spain as their first Japanese invite.
- The guys from LaDoseNet played the last ranking battle of the year @ Gamespirit in Lyon. They play several games but here is the video (with French commentary) of the 2X part with Zarghatt, ISIMORN and Bansheebot forming the podium. Bracket
- KidAkira posted a new video of Ryu combos. Thankfully, unlike most videos recorded from Fightcade, it’s in 4:3 instead of 16:9.