- The classic 2 Old 2 Furious has joined the Tournament of Legends III tour as a qualifier for July 28. It will be taking place at Next Level Arcade and will be streamed by Team Sp00ky
- Top 8 and finals of CEO have been posted in the official Capcom channel for those who want to revisit the incredible moments of the tournament including the unexpected ones.
- Monday Night Fightcade had x64 as the fifth person to earn a spot in the final top 8 that will take place in a few weeks to decide the online Tournament of Legends III qualifier. Bracket | Video.
- IFixMachine had their usual series of casuals streamed in their channel. This week you can see TechMonkey playing against his brother. Video
- One of the worst news we have to give since X-News started is that Mat Mouse arcade in Tokyo will be closing its doors on July 22. That saddens us for so many reasons. Some players who have travelled there in the last years have been able to live the magic of that arcade. The arcade is located in the Yokohama area of Tokyo and unfortunately did have very little presence online. Last time we had to hear such bad news was when Game Off arcade closed in 2013. There are few farewell tournaments organized these days for the arcade, while we prepare the videos you can watch a casuals session that was run on the weekend with some top players involved (see video annotations).
- Now seems to be a good time precisely to publish a long set between Mattsun Ken vs Shu Ken played at Mat Mouse arcade back in January that no one has seen before. Get ready to see a lot of fancy combos and fancy juice kicks.
- Speaking of arcades, for those re-visiting Japan, HEY arcade has changed the location of the ST cabinets. They are still on the second floor but closer to the central area instead of next to the escalators. Remember to check the list of arcades to visit if you are going to Japan.
- X-EST is the next major in Japan (formerly known as X-Mania) which will be on August 11. Few teams are already listed in the official spreadsheets. There you can see some stacked teams like Opemai/Yondaime/Fujimon or Kotaka/Mattsun/Tsuji. Riz0ne is one of the few visitors that will attend and he has already teamed up with VIPER and AFO. It’s getting hype.
- FT5 set between Kusa ChunLi and Sasori Ryu at Gamespot Versus (Kanto). This set was played on April 28, the same day they run a longer session between them that we published few weeks ago.
- Gamespot Versus weekly team tournament (Kanto). Yuuvega Dictator and Yakitori Hawk were the team captains this week. A few nice highlights worth mentioning: Choshu beating 3 claws in a row at 57:23. Epic battle between Kawasim Dhalsim and Nakamura (aka Takechi) Cammy at 01:06:44. Yakitori being Yakitori. [source: GSV youtube channel]
- In Tokyo, Gamespot Versus has been running the weekly team tournament on Tuesdays (called East vs. West) for more than 10 years. It has been religiously posted and annotated by the community to make it more accessible to everyone. This year in Osaka, Shogatsu started doing the same every Monday and posting it on his youtube channel. We realized the content is also amazing and it deserves more credit than we have been giving it so far. We want to start the efforts to make it accessible as well and we placed full annotations as the first comment in this week’s video. The format is slightly different as they run two laps, in the first lap most players use their alt characters (this week you can strangely see a lot of Old Ryus and even an Old Deejay and an Old Dictator). Besides all the big names in Osaka you can also see some guests from Tokyo like Palestina or PECO. You can also give Shogatsu some love with likes and subscriptions to his channel.
- Gamespot Versus special tournament (Kanto). With one of those strange formats they come up every week. This time it’s a double bracket 2on2 tournament where players can’t use a character if they have been beaten with him before.
- Game Newton Ooyama team tournament (Kanto). This time with a 5vs5 team format but with a single bracket and NOT character lock. The teams are mostly very top players. Incredible performances coming from Munari Old Sagat, Hiroyan Hawk, Kikai Guile and Shiki Boxer among others.
- Game Daytona Shiki weekly tournament (Kanto). With their usual “winner stays on” format. There are always 2 laps. This week’s final is between Kawasim DeeJay and Tsunoppi Cammy.
- An early publication of the most recent Game Daytona Shiki weekly tournament (Kanto). The final is between Hatenko Ryu and Yonezaki Dhalsim.
- Playland F1R 2on2 tournament (Tohoku). From the remote arcade in the very far north of Japan, unfortunately with no annotations.
- The second European Tournament of Legends III qualifier was run on Sunday at Gamespirit in Lyon. There were 26 players participating coming from France, Spain, Switzerland, Germany, Italy, etc. The final was between the two Italian Biollo Dhalsim and SpinalBlood New Sagat. Biollo ended up taking it and is the new ToL3 qualifier. To make it more accessible the organizers made most of the stream in English. Video | Brackets
- On Saturday night, there was a pre-event to the qualifier in Lyon where players tried a different format for fun similar to Starcup format but not quite the same. Players had to choose 3 characters to play, the winner of the match (instead of the loser) was forced to change characters which means that in order to beat your opponent you have to be at least decent with 3 characters. The final was between Zarghatt and DonYann. Video | Brackets
- This weekend is time for the third European qualifier for Tournament of Legends III in Birmingham, UK. The VSFighting tournament organizers have confirmed they will be streaming on 3WayTV twitch channel.
- XSB registration is already open. The biggest event in Europe dedicated exclusively to ST. There will be three Japanese invites. The first one has already been announced, the super dictator from Osaka, aka Murasaki. One of the other Japanese invites has never been outside of Japan and you see him every single week in the Japanese arcade videos. Registration | List of Players
- A fifth and final European qualifier has been added to Tournament of Legends III. It will happen on September 8-9 in Lyon as part of the bigger event the MixUP which hosts tournaments for other games as well.
- For those of you looking to attend Celtic Throwdown, you can still register. They will be running ST as per usual.
- Capcom announced the official release date for 30th anniversary in Japan. The game will contain the Japanese versions of the game. 2X instead of ST, Zero instead of Alpha, etc. What’s still not clear is if the online play will be in ST so there can be a cross play between continents. As a funny note, they used a logo of ST with the subtitle “The Ultimate Championship”. This is a funny mistake since the subtitle was available only in the beta version of the game but removed it in the final version (although the graphics of the subtitle were never removed from the ROM) and it’s used in some console versions.
- Loïc Petit has published some interesting tests about the 30th Anniversary input lag. His approach and method seems to be a little bit more accurate than previous attempts and he is polishing it thanks to the feedback from the community. There might be even possible that he applies the same tests to a CPS2 so we can see the comparison soon.
Also, please check out the TOURNAMENT OF LEGENDS III fundraiser athttps://www.gofundme.com/legends3 to help support ST Revival with tournament expenses and pick up some awesome Super Turbo related goodies in the process. If you can’t swing a full donation for one of the prizes, a small donation of even a couple of dollars is still greatly appreciated! The next Japanese invite will be unlocked at $1950!