1 year: October 23rd, 2017 – October 28th, 2018
X-News started on October 30 2017, just after Canada Cup 2017. My first goal with such publication was to connect the several small scenes of the game that many times miss each other news and have no clue what’s going on at the other side of the ocean. Still, English publications are not very accessible to the Japanese community but I already heard some players who follow us and praise the effort.
A side effect of having this publication is that compilations like this can be done relatively easy. Unfortunately, we know how twitch archive works so many links were broken and had to be fixed, if possible. We strongly encourage all TOs to back up all tournament footage to youtube. Also, don’t start a youtube channel if you are not planning to keep it accessible ‘forever’.
The structure of the X-News has been always the same: America, Japan, Europe and Others sections. A bullet list format but with a small summary so you know what the content behind the links is. Player names always in bold. If there are youtube videos that are accessible (instead of twitch or niconico) then the links to the original sources are also posted. We are going to break all these rules in this special post though.
Before going with the annual summary I want to specially thank XGamerz and the mysterious owner of the SSF2T channel (we only know he is from Brazil) for their constant work of keeping all the information organized and available for the community. Thanks to the TOs in Japan for allowing us to re-post their content, prioritizing accessibility over copyright. Thanks Kuroppi for making STRevival the home of the X-News. Needless to say, thanks to all the TOs and contributors around the world for sending me information about their events and for posting them mainly on facebook which makes my work less complicated. Also, thanks Papasi, just because.
Warning to mobile users: open youtube links below with the browser instead of the youtube app. Otherwise some links with search filters and direct timestamps won’t work.
Links marked with [JCC] have James Chen commentary.
Best News of the year
Old school legends showing up to tournaments
- Mike Watson at Canada Cup 2017 [JCC].
- John Choi at EVO 2018.
- Justin Wong at VSFighting, NWM and Texas Showdown.
- Alex Valle at Canada Cup 2018, Rewind II and WNF.
- Daigo Umehara at Canada Cup 2017 and 2018.
- Nuki at CEO [JCC] and ToL3.
- Nakano Sagat at Combo Breaker [JCC].
- Foosuke at Combo Breaker [JCC].
- First visit of Otochun and Aniken outside of Japan (finally!).
AfroLegends coming back from retirement since 2014
- Making it to several tournaments like Red Bull Tournament [JCC], Canada Cup, Rewind II, CEO [JCC] and FPA tournament.
- Facing his big rival Damdai at CEO [JCC] and Red Bull Tournament [JCC].
- Having a grand final against Otochun at the FPA tournament. That is, the best player in Japan against the best player in the US.
Other great facts
- Super Arcade finally reopening.
- Record of participation at Kakerugo (202 players) and Combo Breaker [JCC] (113 players).
- Viewer records on stream at X-EST 3vs3 in Japan and ToL3 in America.
- ST was featured on the main stage of events like CEO [JCC], Combo Breaker [JCC], EVO and Canada Cup.
- Growing communities in Spain, Argentina, Chile and Brazil.
Worst News of the year
Japanese arcades closing:
- Yokohama’s Mat Mouse arcade in Tokyo (staff now works at Bigmouth arcade).
- Ikebukuro’s Ramble Plaza in Tokyo (Update: apparently Mikado owns the arcade now so it was an owner change only).
- Amuseum Kusatsu Game Center located between Osaka and Nagoya.
Capcom being more active than other years
- Capcom released 30th Anniversary Collection game.
- 30AE Special Showcase in the UK with Orf vs Kaosflare exhibition.
- Capcom organized a special 30th Anniversary Tournament [JCC] hosted at CEO with Nuki, Damdai and AfroLegends in the top 3.
- For a while, some players started having online sessions in their channels like Damdai, LordJimmyBones or NycFurby.
- Capcom released 30AE Retrospective Series mini-documentaries [JCC].
- As it happened with HDR, some players joined the ST community through 30AE like Gerald Lee (from Core-A gaming) who participated at Canada Cup 2018.
- Twin Galaxies organized The Fight of Legends: Alex Valle vs John Choi ST Exhibition on 30AE [JCC].
Majors around the world
- Canada Cup 2017 [JCC] – 5 Japanese invites.
- Red Bull Battle Grounds Event (final) [JCC] – 2 Japanese invites.
- FPA Spring Series Tournament with qualifiers in New York, LA and Toronto – 4 Japanese invites.
- Tournament of Legends III – 6 Japanese invites.
- Tournament of Legends III Qualifiers Playlist with 22 majors: Winter Brawl, Final Round, Fightcade Offline Festival (Spain), NorCal Regionals (twitch) [JCC], Texas Showdown, Toryuken (Canada), Combo Breaker [JCC], Super Arcade (no videos), Northwest Majors (no videos), CEO [JCC], La Qualification (France), VSFighting (UK), Don’s Arcade, 2 Old 2 Furious, EVO, Enter the TOL (France), Monday Night Fightcade (Online) [JCC], SummerJam, The MixUp (France), SCR [JCC], The Fall Classic, East Coast Throwdown + Special Fundraiser.
- XSB 2017 – 4 Japanese invites.
- XSB 2018 – 4 Japanese invites.
- X-Mania Europe 5 – 2 Japanese invites.
- NEC18 (Pennsylvania)
- Frosty Faustings 18 [JCC] (Chicago)
- KiTx tournament (Texas)
- Rewind II tournament (LA)
- Rumble In The Tundra 7 (Toronto)
- Stunfest (Rennes, France)
- PAX tournament (Paris, France)
- Fist of the Notts Star 2 (UK)
- Celtic Throwdown (Ireland)
Majors in Japan
- 4FOX 2017 (pre-event) [4vs4] (December 2017)
- X-er 3 [2vs2] (March 2018)
- Kakerugo 2018 (offstream and pre-event) [5vs5] (May 2018)
- X-EST 2018 (pre-event) [3vs3] (August 2018)
- X-er 4 [2vs2] (October 2018)
Other special events in Japan
- Nagoya 3vs3 (November 2017)
- Nagoya Special Tournament (January 2018)
- Osaka special ranking battle event (February 2018)
- Kanto+Kansai vs Chubu at Space Shuttle (March 2018)
- Young Tiger Cup 3 (July 2018)
- Mat Mouse farewell tournament (July 2018)
- Amuseum Kusatsu Game Center farewell tournament and exhibition (August 2018)
- Monday Night Fightcade [LA, USA]
- Game Spot Versus East vs West team tournament [2017, 2018] [Tokyo – Kanto area]
- Game Spot Versus Weekend specials. Various formats. [Tokyo – Kanto area]
- Daytona Shiki. “Winner stays on” format. [Tokyo – Kanto area]
- Space Shuttle team battle [Nagoya – Chubu] (discontinued on March 2018)
- North vs South at HL-Sega arcade [Osaka – Kansai area]
- Playland F1R (Tohoku area)
- Singapore Meetups
- Game Newton Ooyama [Tokyo – Kanto area]
- Kawachieiwa Enpara / Neyagawa ABC alternating every other weekend in each arcade (discontinued in December 2017)
- Ko-Hatsu 3on3 tournaments [Osaka – Kansai area]
- Amipara Technoland [Chugoku area]
- LaDose Ranking Battle [Lyon, France]
- Sunday Face Off [UK] (no videos since October 2017)
- Nantes First Attack ranking battle [videos in their facebook]
Other streamed gatherings – irregular
- I Fix Machine arcade [Brooklyn, NYC – USA]
- Tuesday Night Fights and STundays at Free Play Arcade [Texas – USA]
- WNF LevelUp (split between eltrouble’s and silentscopes’s channels) [LA – USA]
- Super turbo sessions at Lost Ark [twitch] [NC – USA]
- King of the dojo [twitch] [Online]
- Wednesday Night Fights Toronto [No videos]
- Chile ranking battle [No videos]
- Norcal Crabattle sessions [twitch] [Belmont, CA – USA]
- Daigo’s Kemonomichi FT10 [JCC]
- Osaka’s FT10 called X-Count by Kusumondo
- Tokyo’s FT5, FT10 (Komonomichi) and FTX
- Nagoya’s FT10 (Kemonomochi)
- Nagoya’s FT5 by MAO
- Nagoya’s FTX by Opemai
- Salty Garage FT5 series (post ToL3)
- Shogatsu’s New Year Special
- Kusumondo Honda
- Aniken Ken
- Komoda Blanka 1
- Komoda Blanka 2
- Kawamata Ryu
- Kotaka Shoten Guile
- Fukuyama Ryu
- Nikaiten Boxer Birthday special 1 (all chars)
- Nikaiten Boxer Birthday special 2 (all chars)
- Shiki special (all chars)
- Makiri Ken
- Spinalblood Sagat
- Biollo Dhalsim
- Hanneman Guile
Documentaries related to Super Turbo
- The return of Super Turbo by Phil Nolan
- SF2 History by Free Play Arcade
- 30AE Retrospective Series [JCC] by Capcom
- The Old-School Secret Ingredient by Chemical Lovers
- No Drinks on the Astro City by 4cJoe
- MovieLand (re-post) by Zachary KerrHolden
- Akira “Akiman” Yasuda, Illustrator by TocoTocoTV
- Fightcade Offline Festival report by Marcade
- Marsgatti interview by fighter101 (October 2017)
- Tomo interview by Alex Valle (October 2017)
- Aniken and Otochun interview by Eventhubs (November 2017)
- James Chen interviewe by fighter101 (February 2018)
- John Choi interviewe by BornFree (April 2018)
- Tania Miller interview by Ian Walker (May 2018)
- Krost interview by fighter101 (June 2018)
- Fightcade 2 Beta release [twitter updates]
- Trust Training Tool version 10 release [tutorial] by XSPR
- 16 DVDs from UFO Arcade 2005 ranking battles. A Kusumondo giveaway – 4 posted, 12 still remaining.
- Yoga book translations to French and English (3 posted, 13 remaining) by LaDOSE
- Super Turbo Tournament Database by Kuroppi
- FPA Normal of the Week list by Fudd aka Noun
- The Dublo7 Archives – Vintage Tournament Footage by Atari and David Spence
- Migration of SRK forums to discourse platform (Super Turbo section). Even if they are not active they are good for archive purposes.
- Street Fighter board game by Jasco Games
- Retroarch new version
- Eltrouble and KillerMiller engagement (long term project)
Combo videos and compilations
- Ultimate Grand Master Challenge X by BobSagat
- NKI Volume XII
- 24 years of amazing SF2 ST moments by LiangHuBBB
- 30AE moments by LiangHuBBB
- RIP Life Bar by LiangHuBBB
- 3 new chapters of Maxion DVD by TZW
- KidAkira’s Ryu combos
- Dosukoi’s combo videos
- SF2 games ranking by ScrewAttack
- ST Training Session with James Chen and BornFree
- James Chen ST Masterclass Series (removed from twitch but he says he will post it on his youtube soon)
- Frank Vacanti’s Guile University videos
- PS4 vs CPS2 speed comparison by Fromo
- GolcarJack extensive guide for Guile
- Pof’s tutorials
- 10 good reasons to play Blanka by Fujikido
- Stage selection cheatsheet sent by Koemon
- The Japanese Old School by Yogaboy
- 2X CPS2 Input Lag analysis [twitter] by Loïc “WydD” Petit
- The Basics of Combos: Cancels by Capcom
- Expert Course: Getting Max Enjoyment out of SFII Combos by Capcom
- Introduction to SSF2T by Kevin “Forte” Webb
- The need for community (video) by Core-A Gaming
- Origins of Canada’s scene by Corey “Missing Person” Lanier
- GamePro 1994 ST Guide archive
- SF2 chars origins [French article]
Several years in the past had plenty of memorable events, like in 2014 when it was the 20th anniversary of the game, but nobody put those facts together and not many people remember the many things that happened. I didn’t want that to happen again.
I hope these publications give a better perspective to the pessimists about the many things that are going on with ST which is far from dead, as they say.
Our community and numbers can’t be compared to modern e-sport communities but having a smaller community has also advantages. We are strongly bound to the arcade hardware and a generation from the 90s so we don’t know how much longer this will last so let’s enjoy every bit of it in the meantime.