By yogaboy |
- The Spring Series tournament is finally happening this weekend. There will also be an extra 2vs2 team tournament after the main event. Bracket | Stream
- The second qualifier of Tournament of Legends III took place this weekend at Final Round 2018. The final was between Comeback and Atari. Comeback ended up getting the spot and is featured in the poster now that you can get through the fundraiser campaign. Next qualifier will be at the Fightcade Offline Festival this coming weekend.
- Monday Night Fightcade have been announced as a qualifier for the Tournament of Legends III. This tries to connect for the first time the online and offline communities so there as many scenes as possible represented in the final tournament.
- Early registration has been opened for the SummerJam tournament in Philadelphia.
- Monday Night Fightcade @ Arkadeum run their #69 weekly event. The final this week was between LordJimmyBones Boxer and Rakanishu Blanka. Bracket | Video | Leaderboard
- X-er 3, one of the 4 majors in Tokyo, was celebrated this weekend at Big One Arcade. For the first time, a big tournament in Japan was streamed on the youtube platform. The final was Hide Chunli and Suzuka Dhalsim vs Gucchi Ryu and VIPER Hawk. The rough footage can be found their the arcade youtube channel.
- North vs South tournament from the HL-SEGA arcade (Kansai) by Shogatsu. Ao-reppu and Mori are defending their teams in the final.
- Gamespot Versus weekly team tournament (Kanto) with the comeback of some top players like Komoda and Hanashi. Sasori Ryu and Kawasim Dhalsim were team captains. [source: GSV youtube channel]
- Fightcade Offline Festival is going to take place this weekend with the cabinets already in place and MAO and TMF almost on their way. All the ST tournaments will take place on March 24. This will be the third qualifier for the Tournament of Legends III. Registration | Stream
- Ladose run a qualifier for their main XSB tournament. The tournament had a 2vs2 team format. The winning team members are the ones automatically classified for XSB. The winning team was formed by Bansheebot Blanka and Mitsu Old Sagat. Video | Bracket
- STNotW (ST Normal of the Week) by Fudd DJ and hosted on the Free Play Arcade group. This week’s subject is Ryu jump light punch.
- Dreamcast is known for having the best port of the game. If you already own it and couldn’t use your PS3/PS4 stick with it now you can with the new Brook converter.
- There have been several videos this week about early previews of 30th anniversary. There were many concerns about game speed in all those videos and the lack of training mode. However, James Chen confirmed in a later release of the game at Final Round that the speed seems to run fine and that training mode and versus modes will be included in the final version of the game.
By kuroppi |
Comeback defeats Atari in the grand finals of the ToL3 Qualifier at Final Round and joins krost on the ToL3 poster!
1. Comeback (Boxer)
2. Atari (Guile)
3. Rekkaken (CouldBeASetup) (Ryu / O. Ken)
7. Demon of the Mist
13th KSU Abstract
17th Dr M
17th Bryan Phillips
17th Snake Eyez
By kuroppi |
We’re excited to announce that this month’s Fightcade Offline Festival (FOF) taking place in Northern Spain will be a TOURNAMENT OF LEGENDS 3 Qualifier!
Notable players in attendance will be: MAO (Japan), TMF (Japan), GolcarJack (UK), Spinalblood (Italy), ISIMORN (France), Zharghatt (France), MAX (France), Rax (Spain).
Note: The tournament is open to all players however the qualifier spot will go to the highest placing European player.
Date: March 24, 2018
Stream link: NavArcade Akihabara in Spain
Facebook Event Page: https://www.facebook.com/events/144818986162861/
Registration/Brackets at smash.gg: https://smash.gg/tournament/fightcade-offline-festival-2018
Visit the TOURNAMENT OF LEGENDS 3 page for more information.
By yogaboy |
- The FPA tournament is coming in two weeks and they just announced their 4th Japanese invite, Murasaki Dictator, which means that they are now having two top Japanese players from Osaka (Otochun and Murasaki) and two top players from Tokyo (Mattsun and Yaya). Murasaki video announcement
- Tournament of Legends III launched their fundraiser campaign so people can get their signed poster, official program or t-shirt, among other things, and at the same time help bringing more resources to cover tournament expenses or Japanese invites.
- Final Round will take place this weekend and it will be the second qualifier for the Tournament of Legends III. Stream | Bracket
- Canada East Championships run an ST tournament with JED07, Dogberry, Unessential and JWong making it to the final stage. The stream also contains a FT10 teams exhibition. Stream archive | Brackets
- The guys of the Game Center in Belmont, CA announced an ST tournament for March 24 and will try to make it on a monthly basis. Registration | Stream
- L.A. WNF took place on Wednesday with a final between Tomo Ryu and silentscope Cammy. Video
- A mini-documentary about the Movieland arcade and the ST playerbase in Vancouver, BC was released back in February. The film was made by Zachary KerrHolden.
- Monday Night Fights @ Arkadeum run their #68 weekly event. The final this week was between x64 and Illegal. Bracket | Video
- The X-Count youtube channel has published several videos including the previously announced Kusumondo Kumite or the Otochun vs Teppei FT10. There are also a couple of FT5 exhibitions between Suzuyan vs Otochun and Lenas vs Tachiou.
- The Kemonomichi II battle between Kotaka Shoten and Ito DJ took place this past weekend. There was also a “pre show” event the night before with Kurahashi explaining the theory behind the Guile vs DJ matchup. The main event (minute 23) was really hype as most people expected.
- Another long set found in the old Japanese arcade streams. A 20 minute set from 2016 between Mu Dhalsim and Kusa Honda (his alt char).
- Special East vs West (more like central area vs West, the Tokyo area didn’t participate this time), Chubu vs Kansai (as in, Nagoya vs Osaka) hosted at Space Shuttle in Nagoya with all the top players from both areas with the exception of Aniken and Otochun. Fujimon DJ and MAO were the team captains. Needless to say, the most hype and most high level matches you will see in months. Many of the matches decided on the very last hit. [Part 1, Part 2, Part 3] [source: MAO’s nico channel]
- Gamespot Versus weekend 2vs2 tournament (Kanto). A very high level 2vs2 tournament with the strong players in Tokyo.
- North vs South tournament from the HL-SEGA arcade (Kansai) by Shogatsu. Otochun and Kusumondo are defending their teams in the final.
- Gamespot Versus weekly team tournament (Kanto) with Kawasim Dhalsim and Kawamata Ryu as team captains who fought the decisive battle at the very end. The French brothers Bazoukha Boxer and Abdel Boxer were present this week. [source: GSV youtube channel]
- The Fightcade Offline Festival is coming really soon. The organizers made a recent promotional video and announced that Rax, the best Spanish player, has confirmed his participation in the tournament.
- First Attack finally published the top 3 video of their last ranking battle between Pierrot, Solinvictus and the online legend Pe1port.
- The SRK Forums have been migrated to the new platform with nicer and more modern UI among other features. If you have any old links they might work as it is, otherwise use the Wayback Machine website to find the latest snapshot of that discussion.
- STNotW (ST Normal of the Week) by Fudd DJ and hosted on the Free Play Arcade group. This week’s subject is Zangief far medium kick.
By kuroppi |
Support ST Revival and the upcoming Tournament of Legends III by donating to this campaign. The third Tournament of Legends will be held at Canada Cup on October 26-28, 2018 in Toronto, Canada and we expect it will be the biggest TOL yet. Funds will be used for tournament expenses to ensure the best TOL possible.
At various points of the campaign, we will use the funds raised to invite Japanese grandmasters to join the tournament. In addition, we’ll apply funds to other expenses, such as the ToL3 championship belt and other prizes!
For each $650 raised, we will add one Japanese invite to the tournament.
Join us in carrying the banner of Super Street Fighter 2: Turbo for 2018 and beyond!
EVERY DONATION IS APPRECIATED, EVEN IF IT’S JUST A DOLLAR! THANK YOU!
$25 – ToL3 Mousepad
$50 – ToL3 T-Shirt or Unsigned ToL3 Poster – The ToL3 T-shirt will feature the ToL3 logo on the front and the “tour dates” on the back! (Please specify which item you would like when making this dontation)
$75 – ToL3 Official Program – Our ToL3 program will be filled with all sorts of tidbits about ToL3, the history of ToL, and other Super Turbo nuggets!
$100 – Signed ToL3 Poster – The tradition continues with the iconic ToL poster signed by all the qualifiers. A collector’s item that will be the gem of your collection!
$200 – Signed Poster + Program + T-Shirt + Mousepad – If you really like to help out the cause consider this donation and get all the ToL goodies in one package!
By yogaboy |
- Tournament of Legends III made a first draft of the poster that will have all the qualified players. Next stop will be at Final Round tournament in Atlanta on March 16-18.
- Monday Night Fights @ Arkadeum run their #67 weekly event. The final this week was between x64 and Kuroppi. Bracket | Video
- A teaser trailer has been posted on the X-Count project youtube channel. Kusumondo will be facing another player who hasn’t been revealed yet. The date is unknown as well. This project is hosted in Osaka but they have worked together with Mattsun in Tokyo to host all the X-Count information in the ssf2x.net domain where the Tokyo tournaments are usually announced. It’s nice to see these two areas in Japan working together this way.
- Daigo is adding some more hype to the upcoming Kemonomichi battle between Kotaka Shoten and Ito DJ. He posted a video where he talks about how DJ wasn’t played seriously in the scene until Ito came in the late 2000s (15 years after the release of the game) and made DJ a relevant character in tournaments, opening the doors to new players after him and even causing some changes in the tier list (according to MAO).
- Another long set found in the old Japanese arcade streams. A 30 minute set from 2016 between Mattsun Ken and Yuzuru DJ.
- Space Shuttle weekly team tournament (Chubu) with Futachan Ryu and MAO as team captains and the guest visit of Ando Old FeiLong. [source: MAO’s nico channel]
- Gamespot Versus special tournament (Kanto). A very high level 3vs3 tournament as part of their XV3on3S series. Besides Yakitori beasting with his Old Hawk as usual you can also see the best ChunLi’s in Tokyo facing each other several times including the decisive match.
- North vs South tournament from the HL-SEGA arcade (Kansai) by Shogatsu. KKY Dhalsim and Shogatsu himself are defending their teams in the final.
- Gamespot Versus weekly team tournament (Kanto) with Kawasim Dhalsim and Aoba Claw as team captains and the guest visit of Bazoukha Boxer from France. [source: GSV youtube channel]
- Game Daytona Shiki weekly tournament (Kanto). With their usual “winner stays on” format. There are always 2 laps. This week’s final is between Tomoza Boxer and Ochamaru Honda.
- Konbo and Rushdown Edinburg associations joined forces to organize a tournament in Edinburg (UK) on March 25. It will have New Astro City cabinets and a £50 bonus to the winner on top of the pot split.
- BeatBy44 association had their second monthly ranking battle in Nantes (France) with a final between MMK and TheDead and with a newcomer player called Fappy who dares to play Hawk and Gief as his mains. Videos will be coming soon. Bracket
- The same BeatBy44 group has been reminding everyone that their biggest event of the year is coming on April 7 with the Nantarena 18.1.
- Someone in France proposed to use the vs-league platform to make a 2X online league in Europe. For now, he posted event link to see how many players sign up to this idea.
- STNotW (ST Normal of the Week) by Fudd DJ and hosted on the Free Play Arcade group. This week’s subject is ChunLi Jump medium kick.
- Atari posted a third video of The Dublo7 Archives series. The old tournament is held at 8 on the Break in Dunellen, NJ on July 22, 2001. In the video you can see Pete Talley and Bill Gould (Nothingness) among other players.
By kuroppi |
With the first qualifier in the bag after last week’s Winter Brawl, the initial version of the ToL3 poster is here with krost as the lone qualifier!
Keep checking back to the TOURNAMENT OF LEGENDS III page to view the latest version of the poster. The next qualifier takes place March 16-18 at Final Round. Who will be the next to be immortalized on the ToL3 poster?
By yogaboy |
- The first qualifier of Tournament of Legends III took place last weekend at Winter Brawl with players coming not only from the US but also Canada and France. Congratulations to Krost for being the first qualified player! For some reason the brackets are down right now. They will be posted here if they get fixed. Video | Results
- WNF @ e-sports Arena in LA took place on Wednesday with a final between tomo Ryu and eltrouble Dhalsim. No brackets available. Video
- Monday Night Fights @ Arkadeum run their #66 weekly event. The final this week was between H-Zero and illegal. Bracket | Video
- The Lost Ark arcade in NC run another Super Turbo Sessions of casuals. It was all recorded in their stream archive.
- IFixMachine also had their Super Turbo session in NY and it was also recorded in their youtube channel.
- In order to enjoy Ito‘s mastery of multiple characters before his participation on Daigo‘s challenge, Opemai Claw has posted a 40 minute set between Ito Ryu and MAO Claw on his channel. Any Ryu player who wants to learn how to play against Claw should watch this set. He plays a more defensive style than Futachan Ryu but still using all of new Ryu’s tools with precision to counter MAO.
- Mattsun announced the dates of the X-er tournament, their 3rd edition. It will be on March 18. X-er is one of the 4 majors happening in Tokyo every year. In this case, it’s a 2vs2 tournament with the rule that only those that have never won a major in the past (in the history of the game) are allowed to participate.
- Some more gems found by Xgamerz in the buried old footage of the Japanese arcades. An 18 minute set from 2016 between Yuuvega and Sashishi Ryu, and a 10 minute set from 2015 between Muteki Guile and MB DJ (his main is Boxer).
- Space Shuttle weekly team tournament (Chubu) with Futachan Ryu and MAO as team captains. This week’s highlight, besides the usual weird intro, is Prince ChunLi using Guile, which was the character he was using in the early days. He does a perfect to a Dhalsim player at minute 10:55 which is not very common to see. [source: MAO’s nico channel]
- Gamespot Versus special tournament (Kanto). The fancy rule this time is that they made two teams separated by age. “Youngs” vs “Olds”. Read the video description if you want to know who is the oldest and who is the youngest.
- North vs South tournament from the HL-SEGA arcade (Kansai) by Shogatsu. The very O.G. Mori Boxer and Takanotsume Zangief are defending their teams in the final.
- Gamespot Versus weekly team tournament (Kanto) with the team victory decided in the very last match between the two captains, Kawasim Dhalsim and Palestina ChunLi. [source: GSV youtube channel]
- Game Daytona Shiki weekly tournament (Kanto). With their usual “winner stays on” format. There are always 2 laps. This week’s final is between Aoki Cyclone Zangief and Tomoza Blanka.
- Playland F1R 2on2 tournament (Tohoku). From the remote arcade in the very far north of Japan. As always, teams and timestamps are in the video description.
- Ladosenet run their monthly ranking battle with 26 players and with Isimorn and Zarghatt making it to the final. Video | Bracket
- SWGA Bordeux run a local tournament with the following final podium: Wolmar, Soon and Kazuhya. Unfortunately, there are no videos available.
- The guys behind the Fightcade Offline Festival in Spain have announced that Spinalblood and Dany Vega will be coming from Italy to participate in the tournament as well as Golcarjack from the UK.
- Fightcade opened their beta to the public so any registered user can start testing it. A lot of improvements have been added to this version. They also created a Patreon site for those who have been asking to support the project for the longest time. Beta download
- XSPR has recently released a new version of the tool called TRUST (v10), which lets you programmatically automate character moves for your training mode. He also created video tutorials, both in English and Japanese, on how to install and set up the tool.
- Although we have been mentioning the recent posts of Fudd DJ for the #STNotW (ST Normal of the Week), he has been doing it for a while. Fourteen weeks to be more precise. Chris Delp has provided a full list of these posts written in the Free Play Arcade group. Last week, the post was about Ryu far standing strong.
- This week, on February 23rd, our beloved game turned 24. Really looking forward to next year’s 25th anniversary to rock the party!