By yogaboy |
- Monday Night Fights @ Arkadeum had its #54 weekly event with Techmonkey, x64 and kuroppi as the resulting podium. Bracket | Video
- Bob Huynh (aka Mr Bob) was paying a visit to Minneapolis from Japan so the local guys from the famous Paradise Arcade Shop organized a special tournament for the occasion. The videos of the final can be found in the facebook page of the event. Bracket
- The first qualifier of the big 2018 Spring Series tournament in TX has been announced and it will take place @ Don’s Arcade in Torrance, CA on January 6th. A facebook page is likely to be created with more details soon.
- The same Texas guys of the aforementioned tournament streamed their monthly ST event @ the Free Play Arlington arcade this week. Bracket | Stream
- Eltrouble uploaded several videos to his channel of the WNF that occurred on the Wednesday before the Redbull tournament. There you can see DGV, Tomo and AfroLegends going at each other.
- Space Shuttle weekly tournament (Chubu). This week they did a 5 team vs a 3 team. First to two team victories. Superstar and MAO as team captains [source: MAO’s nico channel]
- Gamespot Versus weekly tournament (Kanto) with Hustler Claw and Kawasim Dhalsim as team captains. [source: GSV youtube channel]
- Game Daytona Shiki tournament (Kanto) with most players playing their alt character. The two players with the longest win streak get into the final. Cellotape Zangief vs Kawasim DJ in this case.
- Gamespot Versus special event. Nikaiten is the owner of GSV arcade. It was his birthday so they made a special event where he plays against everyone using all 16 characters. For some reason they did the same format few days after.
- North vs South tournament from the HL-SEGA arcade (Kansai) by Shogatsu. This week with the visit of Tomoza Dictator from Tokyo. Shogatsu started putting the player names in both Japanese and English.
- Amipara Technoland East vs West tournament (Kansai) [part 1, part 2, part 3] with Kibidaru Dhalsim and Urakeni boxer as team captains.
- The guys from X-Mania Europe 5 have announced that TMF Zangief will be their second Japanese invite. Shinonii was the first one announced last week.
- TMF will also be attending the Fightcade Offline Festival in Spain as their first Japanese invite.
- The guys from LaDoseNet played the last ranking battle of the year @ Gamespirit in Lyon. They play several games but here is the video (with French commentary) of the 2X part with Zarghatt, ISIMORN and Bansheebot forming the podium. Bracket
- KidAkira posted a new video of Ryu combos. Thankfully, unlike most videos recorded from Fightcade, it’s in 4:3 instead of 16:9.
By yogaboy |
- Monday Night Fights @ Arkadeum had its #53 weekly event with Techmonkey winning for second time in a row. Bracket | Video
- Otochun won the Redbull Battlegrounds tournament of last weekend. Aniken, Afrolegends and Damdai were 2nd, 3rd and 4th respectively. Special thanks to Jimmy Nguyen (shinjn) for the organizational leadership, Chris Doyle (technical monkey) for his Technical support and David Bibona (Atari) for his hard work to make this a successful tournament. Brackets
- Eventhubs interviewed the twin brothers Otochun and Aniken preview to the tournament aforementioned. Aniken posted a bunch of pictures on his twitter during the weekend.
- Technical Monkey and Silentscope visited the guys from I Fix Machine for some casuals the day before they went to Redbull Tournament and 2old2Furious respectively. Stream
- Skillions 2 old 2 Furious took place in NYC with JoshC taking the tournament. Bracket | Stream
- The tournament that was supposed to happen at Game Galaxy in Smyrna, TN two weeks ago was postponed to this last Tuesday. Unfortunately, there are no recorded videos. DreamTR, Papstr and Beatemup formed the podium of the event.
- Dbostick organized a small online tournament on Fightcade last Tuesday. King of the Dojo 7. Brackets | Stream
- Tournament Tuesday will be held on Fighcade this week. Organized by Nagata Lock from Canada. Registrations are now open.
- Wednesday Night Fights took place on Wednesday with the surprise visit of DGV. Tomo beat Afrolegends in the finals. Videos will be posted soon on eltrouble’s channel.
- New videos from Canada Cup have been posted on Atari’s channel. Top 8, casuals and many more.
- Monthly ranking battle at Kawachieiwa Enpara arcade in Osaka (Kansai). Part 1, part 2, part 3, part 4. [Shogatsu’s nico channel]
- Game Newton Ooyama speacial team tournament (Kanto)
- Game Daytona Shiki tournament (Kanto) with Kawasim Dhalsim and Naka Feilong making it to the finals.
- Space Shuttle weekly tournament (Chubu) with MAO and Opemai Claw as team captains. [MAO’s nico channel]
- Gamespot Versus weekly tournament (Kanto) with Yuzuru DJ and PECO new Ken as team captains. [GSV youtube channel]
- Amipara Technoland East vs West tournament (Kansai) with Kibidaru Dhalsim and Urakeni boxer as team captains.
- Latest live stream of Shogatsu from the HL-SEGA arcade (Kansai). North vs South tournament. No annotations for now.
- Another North vs South tournament from the HL-SEGA arcade (Kansai) by Shogatsu. For some reason there is no sound in the video.
- Shinonii old Sagat is the first Japanese confirmed for X-Mania Europe 5.
- Fightcade Offline Festival 2nd edition (March 2018) is open for registrations now.
- The third DVDs lent by Kusumondo has been posted on youtube by eltrouble. It’s a single 2on2 tournament where each player can use with their secondary character. Playlist
By yogaboy |
- Monday Night Fights @ Arkadeum had its #52 weekly event with Techmonkey and RenoMD coming back after a few weeks break. Bracket | Video
- Free Play arcade in Texas have announced next year tournament (March 24) which will have a $5000 guaranteed price pool, probably the highest ever given in an ST tournament.
- JED07 won the Rumble In The Tundra 7 tournament. Bracket | Stream
- Damdai and tomo are now confirmed to go to the Redbull Battlegrounds tournament. It’s been three years since the top 2 players in the US participated in the same tournament. This time along the most famous brothers in the scene. Otochun is also considered the #1 player by most of the Japanese crew.
- Space Shuttle (Chubu) special 3on3 tournament (part 1, part 2, part 3, part 4, part 5, part 6). Some players took the spot of two or even three players forming a team on their own. Not sure about the rules there. Do you want to see how Yondaime performs with O. Sagat?
- Space Shuttle weekly tournament (Chubu) with MAO and Superstar Boxer as team captains.
- Gamespot Versus weekly tournament (Kanto) with Kawasim Dhalsim and Kazumatan Claw as team captains.
- Gamespot Versus special 3on3 tournament (Kanto)
- Gamespot Versus weekend tournament (Kanto) with some strange rules where players had to switch to other characters or old versions of the character at certain times throughout the tournament.
- Amipara Technoland single tournament (Kansai). They are located in Okayama which is even further in the west than Osaka. Players are not known outside of Japan but the level is very high. Don’t miss the montage of the intro of the players with some guitar music in the background.
- Game Daytona Shiki tournament (Kanto) with a format which is quite common in Japan but I don’t know the name. Basically, after everybody has played, the two players with the longest streak get into a FT3 final.
Shogatsu had some pending videos from previous weeks that he uploaded now:
- Ratio tournament from the HL-SEGA Nishinakajima arcade (Kansai). The ratio list has been added to the goukipedia tiers section. It’s funny how they list Gouki with 15.5 points but you can only chose characters up to 15 points total.
- Latest live stream of Shogatsu from some arcade in Kansai (annotations are still missing). For some reason there is no sound but the games are all annotated on screen. Aniken, Murasaki, Kusumondo and others are present too.
- North vs South special tournament from the HL-SEGA arcade (Kansai). Similar to the East vs West in Tokyo, it just means that there are two teams facing each other regardless of the geographical location of the players. This time the two teams are old (age) players [Nintendo team] vs young players [Super Famicon team]
- Another North vs South tournament but with a spectacular final between Gunze and Shogatsu [minute 56], one of the most lopsided matchups of the game but with Gunze making the most of it. Gunze openly admits that he loves bad matchups, that’s why he probably plays Zangief to death.
- Bonus (!): Three weeks ago Shogatsu also streamed a North vs South tournament. This time with a final between ShootingD (who was supposed to be retired) against Otochun [minute 53]. You can see that ShootingD is still in top shape even if it’s 2017 and not 2005.
- First Attack youtube channel interviewed the organizers of X-Mania Europe 5 to get more details about the event. [In French]
- François (aka ISIMORN) re-streamed 2 hours of content from Japanese arcades with French commentary.
- Nantarena 17.2 announced they will hold a 2X side tournament @ Nantes on December 3. Registration
- Monthly SFO tournament took place but no videos have been posted yet.
By yogaboy |
News from last week:
- Results and a documentary of a new tournament in Chicago, IL called “No Drinks on the Astro City” have been posted. Bracket | Documentary
- There are brackets and videos of the “Super Turbo for Charity” tournament at Free Play Arcade in Texas with Riz0ne taking it. Almost a 24 hour video! Bracket | Stream archive
- A small gathering was held in Brooklyn, NY to play ST called “I Fix Machine” . Event details
- Monday Night Fights @ Arkadeum had its #51 weekly event with a Mexican final between Hokuto and djfrijoles. Bracket | Video
- The official channel for Canada Cup has posted all the footage from the tournament including offstream and casual matches. Annotations will be coming soon. Make sure to subscribe to the channel.
- This Saturday in Buffalo, NY there’s a regional called Rumble In The Tundra 7 with ST as side tournament. Registration | Stream
- There is an online tournament organized from Canada on November 8th with the intention of reviving the Tournament Tuesdays event. Registration
- Jason Wilson will be hosting a tournament near Nashville, TN on Nov 11 at 5pm. Game Galaxy in Smyrna, TN is the location of the venue which has 400 arcade and pinball machines on Free Play and 30 console setups.
- AfroLegends, Otochun, Riz0ne and Techmonkey are now confirmed to go to the Redbull Battlegrounds tournament
- On the same day as the Redbull Tournament there will be the 2 old 2 furious event in NY with the presence of SilentScope from SoCal. Event details
- Gamespot Newton Ooyama in a team tournament with Shal Boxer and Tomoza Dictator among others
- Gamespot Versus East vs West weekly with Nikaiten and Kawasim as team captains
- Game Daytona Shiki tournament with the now better known Koemon making it to the final
- Next major is still far away (December) with the 4FOX tournament. A team tournament of 4 people each with the rule of having 2 world warriors, 1 new challenger and 1 boss character in each team.
- Ticket sales for X-Mania Europe 5 (2018) are now open. The tournament is part of the HFS Summer which holds tournaments for 3.3 and windjammers too. Registration and info | Trailer
- There is the aforementioned upcoming online tournament from Canada on November 8th. Registration
- There was a small online tournament held in Spain with the intention of repeating it once a month
- Fightcade 2 beta is now opened for accounts created up to 2016.
- The first one of the 16 DVDs lent by Kusumondo has been posted on youtube by eltrouble with Kusumondo’s permission of course
By yogaboy |
In an attempt to summarize the ST events of the week… here they are:
- The biggest ST tournament of the year in American lands. Too many big names to list. 5 Japanese invites. James Chen joining the commentators in the finals. Daigo also joined Mattsun and Koemon for the team tournaments. Mike Watson invited too. 91 players in the solo tournament.
- Bracket The official videos are coming soon on Atari’s channel also with offstream footage and several hours of casuals. In the meantime, you can check the stream archive of CanadaCup and CanadaCup1 twitch channels.
Monday Night Fights @ Arkadeum. Special #50 event.
- Leaderboard update with Marsgatti taking it
- Note: Marsgatti also interviewed this week by Fighter101
- Alex Valle, Tomoaki and AfroLegends invited to the studio.
- Alex Valle doing a short interview to Tomoaki
Wednesday Night Fights @ eSports Arena:
- AfroLegends took it over Tomoaki.
- Unfortunately there is no stream of it.
- Super Turbo for Charity in TX with eltrouble, millertime, rizOne, ultracombo and many more. Stream channel
- There was also an announcement of Aniken being invited to the Redbull Battlegrounds tournament (Capcom pro tour finals) which will take place in Boston on November 18th. Unfortunately, the communication between the organizers and the community has been extremely bad but we still encourage everyone to make it there even if it’s last minute.
- Gamespot Versus Solo tournament with Nakamura making it to the finals
- Gamespot Versus East vs West format with Shiki Boxer as guest
- Gamespot Versus HSF2 special event
- Game Daytona Shiki with Haru King honda beating EVERYONE
- Space Shuttle Team Battle with Superstar boxer and Tasaka Cammy as team captains
- LaDose Ranking Battle (also with a special kumite event)
- Posting XSB videos on youtube. XSB was the biggest ST event in Europe this year. 4 Japanese invites. 80 players in solo. Great final between Zagi and Kusumondo. Also great final in team tournament between Zagi Chunli, Max Cammy and Balcork Feilong vs Mycophobie boxer, OldSamir Guile and Milanea Honda.
- Posting Sunday Face Off videos on youtube
- An event was also held at Checkpoint venue to watch Canada Cup tournament on a big screen.
By kuroppi |
It’s a sad day for the Super Turbo and fighting game community.
Nohoho, one of the most influential members of the Super Turbo scene has passed away. He is well known for his fierce Blanka, as well as his super nohoho fighter ii x website, which featured a ton of incredible Super Turbo information, especially from Japan. Though he retired his blog several years ago, it still remains an important source of translated information for players today. Many players have said that his site was the reason that they got into Super Turbo and continued to follow the scene, as his blog was the bridge between Japan and the rest of the Super Turbo community bringing information that we couldn’t find anywhere else.
He also was the inspiration for many to give back to the community, including Super Turbo Revival, to continue bringing news from Japan to the Super Turbo scene. Without Nohoho’s hard work over the years bridging the Japanese ST scene to the rest of us and keeping interest in the game, Super Turbo Revival may never have been formed and the scene likely would have died out long, long ago, during the “Dark Age of Fighting Games”.
Cheers to you, Nohoho. May you be in a better place now.
By kuroppi |
Here is this week’s Gamespot Versus East vs West team battle from April, 12th courtesy of Super Street Fighter II Turbo.
Rules: Two teams are chosen beforehand as well as player order. The first two players from each team battle each other and the winner stays on to fight the next player from the other team. Once a team has run out of players they lose the event. The remaining players on the winning team face each other in an exhibition at the end of the event.
This week features:
1P: nicofromtokyo, Goro, Risty, Ususu, Shal, Tako-sama, Kawamura, Koedo, Fukuyama, Geist, Hide, Mu, Suzuki, Jimmy, Kabuki-kun, Kazumatan, Neri, PECO, Gucchi, Toukon, Tsunoppi, Mattsun, Koemon, Takechi, Yakitori, Seo, YuuVega, Kotaka Shoten
2P: Jojo, Moro, Fujimi Blanka, Karaagemaru, Nakaji, Iinuma, Taichou, XSPR, Miya, Shinonii, Hitoshi Matsumoto, Nemo, Aoba, EcoDJ, Grygla, Palestina, Te, Nikaiten, Tomoza, Kikai, Choshu, Tencho, Kawasim, Nakamu, tomo, Hanashi, Sasori, Noguchi
By kuroppi |
|Kusumondo talks about a variety of topics from X-Mania Europe, what he loves about ST, HDR, who he wants to face in ToL and more.|
|Big thank you to Kusumondo for taking the time to do this interview. Thank you to @CrasherJ for the super fast translation job!|